Wire size

[Deleted User]
edited September 2014 in HUDSON
Can I use a 10 gauge wire to re wire the horns on my 40 Hudson? Or is it to heavy. The wire that is on it is very brittle and cracks to the touch
Also where can I get parts for the tranny" ? I talked to northwestern and they said they would have what I need, BUT when I gave them the casting numbers they said all they have is the front and rear seal. My front shaft has a lot of play in it and I'm sure I will need the outer round bearing and I was told that inside it uses needle bearing. If need be I can make the gaskets. Thanks again. You all are a lot of help and a great bunch of guys. No wonder the Hudson club is one of the biggest and best clubs around

Comments

• Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    edited September 2014
    Try Al Saffran for you transmission parts.
    You can use 10ga wire but It is overkill. 14 should be fine.
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
     10 Gauge for heavy loads Battery,Lights ,Heater Fan, Gen.
      12 Gauge Interior Lights And other Accessory. Lighting Running ,Stop, turn Signals  
      14 Gauge Dash Lamps, Instruments 
      Battery Cables should be 0 gauge
     Have Good grounds will help
     Good Luck
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser

What am I overlooking here regarding wire size/gauge?  The '52 Hudson Mechanical Procedure Manual wiring diagram shows the parking lamp wire (circuit no. 22) to use 18 wire size and the head lamp wires (upper and lower beams & circuit no's. 24A and 25A) to use 14 wire size.  Are you suggesting a larger wire size (10 for the lights(head lights, I assume)) because it's been found over time to be a better and safer wire? 

Dan

• charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
     Because of the heavy load Larger wire will carry the load better 
  • Kdancy
    edited September 2014
    If you go by the manual on wire size you'll be fine. These were designed for 6V systems which use a heavier gage wire then 12V systems.
    On headlights I do wire in a relay as that takes the load off the ignition switch and makes for better headlights. your horn should already have a relay from factory.
    good grounds a must!
  • railknight

My '53 Super Wasp already has the relay (complete with fuses) installed for the headlights.  Ever since I've owned this Hudson I've had issues with the turn signal not properly working.  Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't particularly on the right side and then the flasher unit gets very hot.  Now I also have brake lights that work and sometimes don't.  I believe this is a wire issue grounding out somewhere at the left side wire terminal just beyond the relay for the headlights. 

This is why I want to be sure I'm using the correct wire size before replacing the wires in front of the radiator.  I'll stop by at a good electrical supply store here in the Chicago area and purchase the correct wire sizes, color and probably heat resistant too.  Thanks, Hudson40, for bringing up this wire size issue!  

Dan

• Kdancy
    edited September 2014
    Dan, yes I think that is another important issue- correct grade wire made specifically for automotive use.
    I use SXL rated wire when possible.
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    hudson40-

There's an outfit in NJ that specializes in old transmissions, called FatsCo's:

They're really good for the obscure or vintage transmissions, whether it's whole re-builds or selling parts.
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    And one in Greenville, SC:   www.greenvilletransgreenvillesc.com
  • bartibog1
    bartibog1 Expert Adviser
    Dan on my 53 super wasp I would look and make sure your signal light switch contact slider is working properly as this is where I found the problem took switch apart carefully and cleaned all parts no problem since. just another throught

Steve
  • railknight

Steve,

Thanks for the suggestion of the turn signal light swtich contact slider.  I'll keep that in mind just in case.

I removed the shroud (with the hood lock) in front of the radiator (quite the job!).  Anyway, found the wiring for the right headlight, parking light and signal light to be in somewhat rough condition.  It appears the turn signal wire is routed seperate from the other three wires whereby it was forced through a bracked opening that seems to have exposed the insulation and consequently shorted out (saw some smoke coming from this area two days ago which finally convinced me to "take the bull by the horns" and replace all the wiring in front of the radiator).   

Dan

This discussion has been closed.