1946 headlights

paulrhd29nz
paulrhd29nz Member
edited September 2014 in HUDSON
What do you all suggest for headlights on my 46 truck. It is 6v. Are there any modern upgrades that can be done ?
( meaning brighter )

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I believe there are 6-volt halogen lights available for sealed beams-equipped cars.  The halogen lamps are small but they fit into a larger assembly which resembles a standard, round, sealed beam unit.  I know for sure that there are 6-volt halogen lamps which can be directly installed in the original sockets of pre-sealed beam cars, and I'm pretty sure about the "sealed beam" version.
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited September 2014
    FYI
    Jon is correct, There are a number of 6-V Halogen Bulbs available that are direct replacement. . E bay and other Sites have them if you cant find locally. The price varies from $14 up..
    A Tip to brighten headlites is to wire them thru a relay (one for hi & another relay for low beam) getting power direct from the battery. Schematics are available OnLine by typing -how wire headlight relays
    :)
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    This isn't for everyone but for me the best upgrade I did was to replace the generator/regulator with 6 volt one wire alternator. That not only eliminated all my generator/regulator problems (which was my main problem) but a very unexpected surprise was bright headlights from idle to highway and bright instruments became easy to read at a glance in the dark.

If interested in getting one, give Bill a call 620 228 1477 or email howent@hotmail.com. He is located in Iola, KS. Super person to talk to and willingly answered all my questions. He has been in business about 28 years. Alternator cost less than a rebuilt generator. That sold me. The rest was iceing on the cake.

Lee O'Dell
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    Also, I may add halogen bulbs to the Hornet after determining there is no need to upgrade wiring. I'll probably do that with my 47 PU since all the wiring will be upgraded along with a new alternator.
    Lee O'Dell
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    edited September 2014

3 or 4 yrs ago I installed 6v Halogen bulbs and reflectors form Little British Car Co. (http://www.lbcarco.com/).     Amazing results ...  not only very bright lights, but they're the "sharp cutoff" type, so not blinding to oncoming traffic.  Installation was a piece of cake.     (I had installed a headlight relay earlier).

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Paul, before you do anything check your wiring.  Run a separate wire direct from one of the lights to the battery's NEG post -- (I assume you still have a positive ground (earth) car.  With the headlights on, touch the wire to the post and see if the light gets any brighter.  If it does, then follow Ol' Racer's advice and install a relay so that you're sending the power directly to the lights -- not through ten miles of bad wiring and a couple of old corroded switches.

You may also want to install a ground wire on your light and make sure it's grounded somewhere on the frame (or that it goes directly to the POS terminal on your battery.  This completes your "test circuit".  Alternate touching the wires to the battery.  First, try the light-to-negative-post wire, then remove and try ground-to-positive-post wire, then finally try connecting both wires to their respective posts on the battery. (Do all of this with the light switch "on".)   Note whether the light gets brighter, as you perform each wiring connection.  This will help to isolate any problems.  If it gets brighter when you've connected the ground wire, then THAT is where your wiring problem is.  If it happens when you connect the light to the neg. terminal, then a relay may be called for.  If connecting BOTH wires makes the light even brighter, install both a ground wire (on each light socket) AND a relay.
  • Good information from every one!!

Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.