Hydro problem

Lee ODell
Lee ODell Senior Contributor
edited September 2014 in HUDSON
I had the engine changed in my 52 Hornet and now the 4 speed auto works ok in 1st 2nd and fourth. But slips right through third. The trans worked perfectly prior to engine change. Walt told me to remove the top nut on rod to trans and rod should move toward trans about 3/4" but rod does not move down, internal problem. It has been suggested that something broke inside trans during removal that maybe outside lever hit or got cought on something.

Any suggestion on repair needed. All tune up adjustments made, twin h carbs balanced, rod to trans adjusted. What inside the trans needs repair.
I sure would like to have it fixed to drive to the All Calif. Meet on Thursday.

Lee O'Dell

Comments

• Lee ODell
    Found out that the trans was not removed from the car during engine change. Lee
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor

Im not an expert, but he may have meant try adjusting the Rod from the Side Cover up to the Carb linkage. That Rod has an adjustable clevis to control shifting. Ive found if disconnected or adjusted too far back the shifts will be quick and soft.
  • Lee ODell
    I disconnected the linkage and tried moving the long lever on the trans and it binds up and sometimes will not move. Is that something that can be fixed in the car or does the Hydro have to come out for repairs.
    Lee O'Dell
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    Lee,
    I removed the side cover on a Hydro I installed in a '46 Pickup. It depends on your chassis. If you remove the two link Arms & the Cover you may find the problem. Probably need to remove the floor board to observe. I had a similar problem that I resolved inside the cover. (I think the shaft was slipping in a spline, but dont recall yrs later).
  • Lee ODell

That is uplifting news. It has been a trying day. To top it of when I let the jack down the chair was to close to the front fender and it tore part of the trim loose from the fender. That was the last straw for the for this evening. Think I'll take a shower, cool down and call it a day. I think it was suppose to be 105 today.
    Lee O'Dell
  • BHLHH52
    BHLHH52 Expert Adviser
    edited September 2014
    Lee,
    I just replaced my 52 Hornet engine and had trans problems very similiar to yours. The TV rod adjustment was the problem. It is very sensitive and just adjusting the Carbs can require adjustment of the TV rod. I used the instructions that Walt Mordenti wrote and published in the July-Aug-09 WTN, "Setting Up Twin-H-Carburetors". Highly recommend you follow this before going into the trany.
    Barent Laurence
  • BHLHH52
    BHLHH52 Expert Adviser
    Lee,
    A re-read of your original comment indicates you only loosened the top nut, loosen the the bottom nut also so the rod can move free in the sleeve. Brent Laurence
  • Don't want to hijack the thread but Barent, do you know where to get a copy of the article?  The WTN online archives don't go back that far. 

Thanks,

Ray
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Ray-

I will try and scan a picture of the article for you tomorrow.  
  • Russ... 

You are awesome!  I'm half way through rebuilding the first carb so.... yea... could eventually use that article.  

Thanks!

Ray

• RL Chilton
    edited September 2014
    I can not post this right now, as I loaned out that issue and will not get it back for another 7-10 days.  I had completely forgotten that I did that.  Sorry, can forward when I get it back.  
  • No worries... Just finished carb #1, so on to #2.  :)  Thanks again

Ray
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Ray... The adjustment of a Hudson Twin H (applicable to all Hudsons with Twin H) is available in the 1952 Hudson Mechanical  Procedures manual which is on line thanks to Alex Burrs efforts. Click 1952 to download or view the manual

Also the procedure is on my website at this address: Twin H Adjustment

My website can be seen at the following URL  http://www.hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/

• RL Chilton
    Thanks, Oldfarmer.
This discussion has been closed.