Hershey vs Carlisle

railknight
railknight Expert Adviser
edited September 2014 in HUDSON

Last October I went to the Hershey swap meet/car show.  Thankfully, I walked the entire selling area the first day (18 miles of walking I was told and my legs sure felt it the next day) as the following show days were pretty much rained out.  Picked up a few Hudson artifacts such as a can of Hudson white wall cleaner and a can of Hudson radiator rust inhibitor.  Found some old gas station things too as I collect that stuff as well. 

This year, however, I scheduled a week of vacation time to coincide with the Carlisle swap meet the week before Hershey (as well as a get together with some friends from college at Carbondale, IL).  The guy who does my income tax, and who also owns two Auburns, told me I shouldn't bother going to Carlisle as it's mostly muscle cars and related items for sale there.

Is the tax man right? 

Dan

Comments

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited September 2014
    Personally,
     Ive found Carlisle is similar to your area Swap Meet but on a much larger scale with many more Vendors traveling in from afar with mostly 50's, 60's, '70's and newer parts .Additionally, there are a lot of Hot Rod Vendors with new Parts
    . Because of the huge magnitude of Vendors, anything your looking for can usually be found for your classic Car or Hot Rod.

Ive also found that Antique guys avoid Carlisle & Muscle car guys dont go back to Hershey because of their different offerings... However, some probably attend both...

• charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    Hershey is for the older cars and Carlisle is for the newer stuff as Ol racer stated it is true
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Another benefit of Hershey is that you can hang out at the Hudson booth.  You can't do that at Carlisle!
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    There's another side of the coin nobody's mentioned - while Carlisle tends toward newer collectibles there's always a chance a vendor has something Hudson he's been lugging around forever trying to get rid of so you got a chance to make a score.  For example, back in the 70's I went to a Brand-x car show/swap meet.  Most of the vendors were hawking Chevy and Ford parts, but one had a box full of Hudson ads and literature, like owners manuals, shop manuals, etc.  I offered him $20 for the lot and he was so happy to find someone who wanted to take it off his hands he took the offer.  Resale today would most likely bring over $150 for what I got.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator

There are positives and negatives to each venue. 

'Fall Hershey' is an AACA event; Parking is plentiful ($12 for fields/areas unless you are a vendor, etc.); There is no 'entry fee' for access to the flea market;

http://www.hersheyaaca.org/fallmeet.html

'Fall Carlisle' - unsure of sponsor(s) for the event; Parking can be a challenge, and fees vary; There are daily fees for entry onto the grounds (an 'event' pass is available, around $30 or so);

http://www.carlisleevents.com/carlisle-events/carlisle-fall-swap-meet-corral-auction/default.aspx

• railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser

Thanks for the opinions and suggestions regarding Carlisle.  Just made my hotel reservations and plan on attending Carlisle both Wednesday and Thursday.

Dan

• PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    edited September 2014
    I WISH YOU GOOD LUCK ON YOUR TRIP 

I WOULD NOT GO TO CARLISLE.   I FEEL YOU WOULD BE WASTING YOUR TIME AND VACATION IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR HUDSON STUFF. THERE IS A HUDSON GET TOGETHER IN CARLISLE ON THE SUNDAY AFTER HERSHEY  RIGHT OFF THE INTERSTATE RT 81 IT IS SUNDAY MORNING. IT STARTS AROUND 7AM AND RAPS UP AROUND NOON YOU WILL FIND MORE HUDSON ITEMS IN 4 HOURS THAN 3 DAYS WALKING THE FIELDS OF CARLISLE
  • bull_islander
    bull_islander Expert Adviser
    Are you coming to Hershey this year Paul?  Or are the grand kids playing football?  
  • PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    STILL PLAYING FOOTBALL STARTING TEAM QB AND OUTSIDE LB BUT THERE PLAYING ON WEDNESDAY AT 4 PM SO THAT WILL NOT BE A PROBLEM THIS YEAR WHAT IS A PROBLEM I HURT MYSELF AT THE GYM I HAVE 2 SCIATIC  NERVE HURTING IT'S GETTING BETTER BUT NOT FASTAT ALL THEY SAY ( DR'S) AROUND 4 TO 5 MONTHS FOR FULL MENDING SO WHO KNOWS HOW I WILL FEAL BY THEM 
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Ouch, Paul!  Sorry to hear that!  But congrats for keeping in shape at the gym.  My exercise is limited to hitting the keys on this computer...
This discussion has been closed.