New 1941 Hudson owner

David41
David41 Member
edited September 2014 in HUDSON

Hello all,

I purchased a 1941 Hudson Commodore in May of this year. It finally made its way to my home in June. I have been turning wrenches since I was very young. My dad was born in 1923. He started working on cars by the mid 30's. As I was growing up there were many times he would mention the Hudson, Essex and Tarraplane automobiles and many others. I have worked on many things, cars, tractors, farm equipment, 2 cycle, 4 cycle, diesel naturally aspirated and turbo charged. I have spent the last 20 years with Jet engines and have come to the belief that someone with good mechanical fundamentals can work on almost anything, it is just a matter of learning the system. I must say I wish my dad was still around to coach me along like he always did. Even though as a young man I didn't always listen very well. 

The 1941 Hudson Commodore Six I bought, I was really not shopping for. I happened across the pictures and ad for it as I was doing some research on a Nash just out of curiosity. The more I looked at this car the more it seemed to amaze me at how complete it is. There are a few things missing but not much considering its age. I have had the pleasure of meeting a fellow 41 Hudson owner that posts here along with another forum and am very impressed with his knowledge and advice. I have also met a few others online that also have been very helpful and nice. I have never been one to need to be part of a group but I do like it when something I have great interest in I can find others with the same interest. I enjoy working on it but so far have just scratched the surface. My goal is to eventually go completely through it but for the moment I am just evaluating all its needs and see what it’s going to take for it to be functional. I hope in time it will be what it was when it was new or very close to that. Thanks for having another place for me to learn from and find friends to share with.

Dave

Comments

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Post some pictures when you get a chance.  We all love pictures.  Congratulations on your purchase!
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Dave,

You will get a lot of advice along the way, the great thing about this forum is that Hudson is spoken here.  I don't know if you knew that there is a Hudson Essex Terraplane Club or not, or if you have had the chance to look through a copy of the White Triangle News, the official publication of the Hudson Essex Terraplane Club.  I would be glad to send you a courtesy copy of the White Triangle News, just send me your snail mail address to me at HETForkner@aol.com (drop the HET).

Regards,

John Forkner

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Welcome to the Open Forum, Dave.  You've now been made a full member, and can post messages under any category you wish.

Good to have you.  I'm sure you'll find a wealth of information here.

You may also want to visit the Hudson Essex Terraplane Club website, and consider joining that Club - Members come for the cars, and stick around because of the great folks there!

We hope you enjoy your time here at the Hudson Essex Terraplane 'Open Forum' -

• hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    edited September 2014
    Welcome aboard, Dave.  1941 Hudson's are a good buy and a lot of fun, going by what other owners say.
    In addition to a virtual library run by John O'Halloren we also have an online library that has a couple of manuals for 1941 such as a group parts book in the Manuals section and tune-up specs in the bulletin section. See the link below for access to the online library - (lithomepage link)

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • hudsonsplasher1
    hudsonsplasher1 Senior Contributor
    Welcome Dave. Looking forward to seeing your progress.
  • David41
    David41 Member
    edited September 2014

Hey, thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Doc, I will be getting back in touch with you. I will post a few of the pictures that were taken before I bought it. Unfortunately the outfit I bought this car from managed to not see to it everything was still intact when the loaded it for shipping. I am overall pleased with this car and my wife has already given the car a few very colorful names, she (the wife) does like the car but seems to think I spent way too much time out in the shop with her (Commodore). I tend to ramble on and on so for now let me say we have made a couple of half mile tips to the next intersection and back. I have rebuilt the master cylinder, adjusted the emergency cables and linkage so they will work as designed, pulled the oil pan, and upper oil pan/tray, cleaned and patched the rust holes in both, installed a rebuilt fuel pump, currently have the gas tank out and in clean up. I am having to patch it also from rust holes and a crack. All except the gas tank were done prior to our very short trips. The short trips were made with the fuel pick up hose in a gas container. I also have pulled the upper trim on the left side of the bonnet and am adding a picture of the retaining clip that I would like to get a few suggestions on as to where I may be able to locate. I only broke one but as you can see they are showing their age.

• hudsontech
    edited September 2014
    Hi Dave, and welcome to the best car club going.  We're a family that happens to like Hudsons, et al.
    Check out the online library - http://hetclub.org/burr/lithomepage.htm - You'll find some good 1941 info there that may help you. There is, in the 1940-1947 Bulletin section some A.E.A. tuneup charts that are handy to have lying around. I have an owners manual ready to be uploaded when my co-hort finds the time.  It's 32 meg, but I might be able to email you a copy of it.  Only thing that's missing, that I can see, is the lube chart.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • David41
    David41 Member
    edited September 2014

Doc, It took me a little time but did learn how to get the clips to release from the hood. I have spent a week off and on cleaning the gas tank. Yes the tank is rough but I have finally got all the loose debris out and have patched what holes I have found from the outside solder. My plan is to get a clean and coat kit for the inside unless I can find another exact match on the tank in good shape. My intentions are to replace the items I have patched for the long term fix. I need a picture or drawing of the fuel tank pick up tube to build one for the time being, again unless I can find a good one. They took it off and failed to send it with the car. Thanks again

• Alex, I have spent some time going through most of the data for my car you have posted and do greatly appreciate the effort you and the others have spent on this. I would be good with an emailed copy but if it will be posted soon then that's fine as well. Thanks again

• hudsontech
    Ok, Dave - We'll let the owners manual get posted.  Let you know whenever.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor

Dave,

Welcome to the Forum!

Nice car - youre right , it does look very complete.

I'd make it safe to drive, clean just enough grime off that your wife will ride in the car and leave it as is - what great patina on everything..it'll only look that way once and it took 73 years to get like that!

This discussion has been closed.