rewire of 51 hornet

[Deleted User]
edited August 2014 in HUDSON
I recently purchased a 51 hudson hornet, I am looking to rewire it. Is there any suggestions as to what to use? Making it original is not a concern but making it legit is. Thanks for all your help-a guy with a dream.

Comments

• 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator

Welcome aboard!

Good to have you. I'm sure you'll find a wealth of information here, as well as some quality feedback as to your questions.

If you have not yet done so, you may also want to visit the Hudson Essex Terraplane Club website, and consider joining that Club - Members come for the cars, and stick around because of the great folks there!

We hope you enjoy your time here at the Hudson Essex Terraplane 'Open Forum' -

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Welcome to the Hudson world.

You will find the wiring diagram for your car at this URL - Thanks to long time Hudson supporter Alex Burr.

http://www.hudsonterraplane.com/tech/1946/1946-1954_wiring_diagrams.pdf

A website devoted to bring the life back to Stepdown Hudsons ( your car's Hudson marketing nick name is Stepdown) is available a this URL.

http://www.hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/

Careful removal of the wiring harness will allow you to replicate the whole harness with modern wiring ... and if your desire you can use available old style replica wiring which is made with modern coverings and made to look like the wiring used when your car was new.

Good Luck and Welcome again.

• Thanks for the tip...I can't wait to start my project!
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    Post a lot of photos...we love photos...
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    edited August 2014
    Selfmadecruiser,
    I copied this from the Hudson Essex Terraplane Club website where a similar question was asked.

By the time I chased down actual american made automotive grade wire, not the generic general stuff you buy at the hardware store, or the Chinese made crap, then found the proper colors or close in the right gauge, then chased down quality wire ends and connectors, I had a bunch of time tied up. That's time I could be using on another car, so my time is worth something to me.
    It's hard to beat the price of a quality custom made harness by
    www.painlessperformance.com/
    www.haywireinc.com/
    www.americanautowire.com/
    www.ronfrancis.com/
    www.hotrodwires.com/
    www.rebelwire.com/ (Hamb members get 10% discount)
    I think all of the above mark the wires every so many inches to indicate which circuit they go to, makes it easier to chase down a problem.
    For me, if I'm building a high point stock car to be judged, than only a reproduction harness is worth it. That's a lot more money but duplicates the factory harness in every way.
    www.narragansettreproductions.com/
    www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/
    www.riwire.com/
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    The full discussion of how to re-wire a car (a guy recently asking about re-wiring his 1950 Hudson) happens at our "other" forum, at http://www.hetclub.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topic&catid=18&id=1475&Itemid=594

You may not be able to view this because it is a more secure forum than this one.  However, you may join that forum by becoming a "limited member" of the H-E-T website at http://www.hetclub.org/ .  No charge, just sign up.

Actually, if you are a member of the H-E-T, you can get full access to the website which includes privileges to download all sorts of Hudson technical manuals, owners manuals, and other literature.
  • joe53HH
    joe53HH Expert Adviser
    Are there any helpful hints on re-wiring the interior lights? I have a 53 4dr Hornet and do not want to pull down the headliner. How about running new wires to the trunk for the tail and backup lights?

Joe 
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Joe, you might want to start your own discussion on this.    I think you'd get a bit more attention that way.   Your question about the interior lights may get lost here in this re-wire discussion.
This discussion has been closed.