Chrome Trim Removal

drivergo2
drivergo2 Expert Adviser
edited August 2014 in HUDSON
Anyone with a nice and easy method of taking off the two lower chrome pieces on a 52 hornet sedan . They are about ninety inches long , Have the ones on the tire covers and the very back.  Unless someone has them off and their for sale.  Need not be perfect  Thanks JOHN

Comments

• RonS
    RonS Senior Contributor
    Are you referring to the rocker panel trim, large& small? I use a tool that looks like a 11/2" stiff putty knife, that is bent 90 degrees. It acts as a very thin pry bar. Put a buffer between the pained surface to avoid chipping the paint or dinging the sheet metal. Locate the exact position of the fasteners( flat channels) and from the bottom, slip the putty knife behind the trim and pry the trim off... carefully, as not to distort the stainless trim.
  • Hudson Grandpa
    Hudson Grandpa Expert Adviser
    As Bill Albright used to say, WD-40 in Excess. There is a nice pry kit plastic at Harbor Freight that works great.

Home Depot has it also..

cheap. Use no metal just plastic putty knifes...I start at the end with the plastic putty knife, prod, prob, wiggle, more WD-40, until you see the stainless coming loose at the end. Then work the putty knife forward, or backward inch by inch to pop the stainless off the trim retainers. once you get the end loose your home free. You will be surprised how resilient stainless is up to a point of course. I used plastic putty knifes, and the pry kit plastic, so I didn't have to worry about the paint job. But everyone has their way of doing.Just soak the stainless and trim retainers with plenty of WD-40. Above all try to save your trim retainer if you can. I had to use 6 inch retainers in a couple of places under the long ones. Had to be aligned perfectly, or the stainless would not catch going back on...

You will be surprised how resilient stainless is, of course up to a point..
This discussion has been closed.