Emergency Brake trouble

Aaron D. IL
Aaron D. IL Senior Contributor
edited August 2014 in HUDSON
So I am trying to get my '50 P back on the road but I have no E-brakes. I pulled out the original hand-brake and cable assembly because the cable was bent under the dash and I figured that's why I couldn't engage and dis-engage it.  So I took one from off my old wrecked
50 P because it used to work fine.  I lubricated it, made sure it was traveling through the conduit freely, installed it in the car and adjusted it for length under the car. Then pulled the lever to engage it and BAM same thing happened, it bent the cable when I tried to push it back in, and didn't engage the rear brake cables.  Now obviously I have to go further back and check out the cables to the rear brake drums and make sure all of that is in adjustment and free.  I read the shop manual and it says that when you pull your E-brake lever it should only come out 2 notches before it's engaging the rear brakes.  So my question is, Am I screwed and I have to replace the cable?  If so HOW would I ever do that? Because the one end has a pressed on threaded piece and the other end I don't know how it is crimped and hooked into the lever assembly?

Comments

• Aaron D. IL
    Thanks Ken I'm going to try that today.  Do you think I'll end up replacing the cable that goes to the dash?
  • Aaron D. IL
    OK So on this unusually hot day I checked the rear brake cables and they were actually freely moving.  However the were not traveling far enough to engage the rear brake.  Spent a long time under the car cleaning up the adjusters and their threads with a tap set but all the adjusters need to be tightened up.  Also going to change out the rear brake pads but I wasted an hour or so trying to find my brake spring tool.  Couldn't.....you know how that goes.  Will try and get it all working properly next weekend.  Will spend the week cursing how much time my job eats up. 
  • Aaron D. IL
    Yep that's exactly what happened. it slacked up under the dash and bent a bit. Shoe linings were still ok but a little thin.
This discussion has been closed.