Floor Covering and Trunk Mat

cpr3333
cpr3333 Expert Adviser
edited August 2014 in HUDSON

As we discussed at length, I have gotten the seat fabric made for my '50 Pacemaker.  Next up is floor covering and trunk mat.

I want to go with the original rubber on the floor but no one reproduces the real thing.  I think it was a 'pebble' type finish with some other pattern where you would put your feet.  Until someone makes the real thing, any suggestions on a source for something close, maybe the same general finish without the other pattern?

As to the trunk mat, I'm not sure I've ever even seen one.  Any suggestions on that or at least pictures so I know what I'm looking for?

Comments

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    Possibly a repro floor mat from a Ford or Chevy truck could be modified to fit? They may have the texure your looking for.
  • 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    I beleive that Russ Mass (on this board) has reproduction [close] match for the trunk of  '48 thru '51 models
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor

Chris,

The original trunk mat was black rubber. my 49 conv. has an original in place if you want to see what it looks like. No one makes a reproduction that is anywhere near the original.

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    K-Gap used to offer a front floor mat with the words "Hudson Built Steel Body" in relief, in the center and a ribbed pattern on it.   This was a reproduction of a universal mat offered by Hudson, to replace the original floor mats for many years of Hudsons.  Holes for the pedals needed to but cut on an individual basis. (Once in a long while you will stumble onto them in an old dealer stock; I did, back in the 1970's, and it is still on the front floor of my car.)  The K-Gap mat was wider than the original, so that it could fit the (wider) StepDowns. I am unclear as to whether this item will be once again in production, and by whom.
  • I'm pretty sure that Doug Wildrick has those mats in stock.  Check with him.  I think I would look to other makes for a closer style mat if it were me as that mat is really not correct for the step down era car.

Allan

• cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser

53jetman - I looked on Russ's website and didn't see anything.  I'll try to call directly this week.

SuperDave - I'll have to take you up on that.  Are you sure it was rubber in the '50 Pacemaker?  My father remembers having a mat made of some kind of course woven material, maybe something like an outside door mat but that was years ago.  It might have been some aftermarket thing put in before he got the car.

Jon B and allan - I'm not looking for a floor mat - I'm looking for the original type floor covering.  As I understand it, Pacemakers didn't have carpet - they had a rubber floor covering.  As to asking Dr. Doug, the car is at his place right now.  I'm assuming that if that's what I needed, he'd have told me.

Thanks for the feedback.

• cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser
    edited August 2014

DocHubler - Carpet in the back seat area but not the front?  That's a new one on me.  I'm pretty sure my deluxe never had carpet either front or back but maybe it was tossed before I remember the car.

Carpet in the back seat area isn't listed on the Car Distribution Department Bulletin that describes the deluxe package but, if it was standard and not part of the package, it wouldn't be listed, would it?

Like you said, maybe someone with an untouched car can chime in.

• onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Here's what I have in my 1950 Pacemaker Deluxe Brougham (50A).  I believe it to be the original and will understand if someone says it is not.  There are red seat covers over the original upholstery so don't let that throw you off.

John Forkner

• cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser

John,

I'm guessing that what you have is original.  Interesting that the pattern in the rubber is more like broken lines than pebbles.

The trunk mat looks like what my father described.  Seeing the picture also triggered my own memory of a dirty, oily version of the same thing in the trunk of my car back in the early 70's when it was still running. 

Thanks for pictures - now to find something like it.

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    John's is greatly different than my 49 and little doubt both are original.    Another change for what reason?
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Chris,

My 50 Pacemaker Deluxe has rubber, but non original style in front and back.  However, I do believe that the cars from the factory actually had carpet in the rear seat floor area, while the front was the heavy duty rubber mat.  If someone has an untouched car out there, perhaps they could fill this in.  It may be that standard pacemaker was rubber mat front and back, while the Deluxe had carpet in the back.
    The quoted statement above is correct.  The rear floor came with a carpet covering standard.  If you desired a rubber covering that was to be had.   The four different original Pacemakers I owned all came with carpet on the rear floor.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    While the discussion morphs to other areas, I thought I would add the following as an opportunity for the original poster to find a "reasonably close" replacement for the floor mat. Using Google search I entered ...pebble finish rubber mat... the attached picture is one of the results of the search. While located in England, the material is probably available here in the US. Making a floor mat from this material would be pretty easy if one were to use the "center hump section of the front floor" and heat to CREATE the facsimile mat.

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser

Very similar to a 72 Chevy pick up mat. They are reproduced , already formed , and have a backing.

I'd check one out next car show or cruise in you attend. Do some measuring.

• cvs
    cvs Senior Contributor
    My 53 hornet had a light green one piece mat.  Only half is left, pax side only. Would like to find one just like it. Had to be really nice when new.
  • cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser

Dave - for what reason?  Because it's a 1950 Pacemaker.  Apparently, there was some corporate edict that everything had to be new and never used again. 

Oldfarmer -  thanks for the confirmation.  I learn something new about these cars every day.  Was it in addition to the mat shown in John's pictures or in place of?  What color was it?  As to the mat material you found, I have found a few products like that as well.  If I can't find anything closer, that's what I'll go with for now.  I can always replace it later if something better turns up.

lostmind - good idea - I'm going to do some checking on that.

DocHubler - agreed on the documentation.  As you may have noticed, I am trying to get my car back to as close to factory as possible and it has been a real learning process since there is no one single source of info.  By the time, I'm done though, I may end up being that single source.

cvs - good luck on your search - there is probably one out there somewhere.

• TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    Good pic of the ribbed trunk mat on this Ebay listing.
  • cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser

Yes, please send the picture.

Do you know who reproduced it?

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited September 2014
    Two thoughts:

1).  Russ Maas does indeed offer "new 1948 through 51 trunk floor mats for $79.00", as stated in the May-June WTN.  Shipping is $20.  "These trunk mats are not rubber due to extreme cost but are reinforced, period correct and fit well."  Look on page 43 of your May/June 2014 WTN, extreme right side, near top of page, for the ad.

2).  As far as trunk and floor mats, you could cut your own from a roll of material.  Automotive Interiors and Accessories of Belchertown, Mass. offers a black, pebble-finish vinyl material, 1/8" thick, 76" wide,  by the yard.  I know not whether it's pliable enough to fit in the nooks and crannies of your floor.  $52.50 for a 4-1/2 ft. length.

For more, go here:
    http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/app/accessories.php?accessory=vy&yardage=1-1/2+YARDS#yardage
  • cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser

I just got this sample from http://www.restorationspecialties.com.  It's called Carpet Tex/Pebble Grain and it looks to me like a reasonable match to the originals that John posted, having the same broken line look rather than a random pebble. 

Now, I just need to figure out a way to add the lined areas...

This discussion has been closed.