1954 Hudson Turn Signal

Browniepetersen
Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
edited August 2014 in HUDSON
This is the trun signal indicator board for my 1954 Hudson Hornet. Any one out there have an extra they can let go? Know if an aftermarket part exists, if anyone like Rock Auto has one or perhaps a part number for one? I need some help on this one....

Comments

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser

Well , that's not an old timey garage ,with all those computers scattered around.

Sorry can't help  , couldn't help but comment.

Good luck.

• Chris Smith
    Chris Smith Expert Adviser
    Brownie, That part does not look like anything on my 54 Hornet. It might be an aftermarket turn signal switch as the wires look too modern. The original Hudson switch is under the steering wheel and inside the column shaft.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited August 2014
    Brownie

A Google search brought up the following ... historic post on the same item.

http://openforum.hetclub.org/discussion/115626/turn-signal-switch/p1

Super Dave actually disassembled his switch and after cleaning it began to work. - He later replaced the switch with one I provided... pictures show below.

Chris... the picture that Brownie posted is of the switch disassembled from the metal holding fixture. The later switches have plastic covered wire... that best ones in my opinion.

Having a lot of experience with bakelite (the "circuit board" material) I will tell you that a through spray of electrical contact cleaner - possibly several times and a blow dry with compressed air should clean the contacts without dis assembly.

As said my stash was sent to Super Dave... good luck
  • Browniepetersen
    Chris, we removed the unit and there were two broken wires., We reconnected them (from the new wire harness) and bench tested the unit. When we put it all back in the steering post it failed. The bakelite cracked and broke the printed wire board. If there is an aftermarket part, where do I get it and what else will fit 52, 53, 54, Jet ect. I looked up and the only number I could find was for a 1952 (I do not have a 54 book) BO 30 63 88 Flasher harness or BO 306 471 Junction Box Dr.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    54 signal unit and parts are unique to that year. Switch pieces would be nearly impossible to source except used.
  • Brownie, I 've got one.  let me know.
  • Browniepetersen
    Lance, Check your PM, I have sent you a note with my address.
  • Got it Brownie.
This discussion has been closed.