Old old Classiccar.com forum - oldopenforum.hetclub.org

akcoop
akcoop Administrator
edited August 2014 in HUDSON
I thought I would pull this out of the 'where have all the posts gone?" discussion and ask the question.

I have reloaded the old old forum at "http://oldopenforum.hetclub.org".  I tried to take a lot of the crap off the screen and will continue to try and decrease the footprint so it doesnt take that much space on the server.  

My question is, is anyone really using/want this old information online and in the forum format.  If not, I might try and export into a flat file.  I am having problems getting logged into the back end.  However I can get into the back back end.  I think it is important information, but I would be interested in thoughts on what we do with this information.

Comments

• charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
     I think anybody that need old posting should bookmark them for the future usage.
     Just click on the star icon in the upper right hand corner to save the discussion.
     If the star is yellow you have it saved it
                                                            Just my two cents
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    AAron-
    I'm not that computer savvy, but there's is loads of great information in there, especially for folks trying to maintain their HET vehicles.  If there is any way of preserving it and making it so that one could still do a search and find what they are looking for, then it still has great value.  I, for one, would certainly like to be able to access it.  
  • RL Chilton
    Why is it not possible to go back to using that site and just change the name?  The format was so much better before.  
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    Interesting that almost the first question on that site is "how do we get hold of the old BBS information" :)

Personally I tend to think that you can never have enough stored information so I'd vote for yes to keeping it even if that was as a flat file on my own computer.

What I can't do is log into it of course because I don't seem to be able to recall my username / password combo
  • akcoop
    akcoop Administrator
    Sorry Russ. The software it is running on is waaaaayyyy out of date. Actually the forum software (kunena) is the same as we are running on the current www.hetclub.org site (albeit a much older version). Just renaming this is not really an option as this could stop running any time if the server php version gets updated. I would love to export it and see if we could add to the current club site. Adding it to this site would require a significant effort. Right now I cannot get logged into the back so any export is not available right now.

Aaron
  • Rob Fayette
    Rob Fayette Expert Adviser
    Yes Aaron,
    I am definitely interested in keeping the old posts any way we can.  There is tons of information there and a lot of good threads on how to do things for Hudsons.  Like Russell says, I also believe that  being able to search it is the key to making it really useful.  I certainly realize that its future is held in your hands because you are the one that knows how it works computer wise. I also realize that your help is voluntary and we all owe you a huge thankyou for doing what you have done so far, and what you can do in the future ,to save what you can of this Hudson history and expertise.  Another thing I believe to be  true,is  that the pictures that went with the threads are an integral and important part of the history.  Many, if not most of the threads, contained pictures that helped explain the topic at hand.  Without these pictures many of the threads won't be near as useful in my opinion.
    Rob
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    For those who can sign in with user name the search engine works. Data canbe saved using PDF tool at bottom of page.
  • Rob Fayette
    Oldfarmer thanks for the tips.  After you posted I tried to see if I could log on to the old old forum.  I got lucky and after a couple of tries managed to log on with the correct username and password.  I was able to do some searching with the search tool but not like I thought it would.  I couldn't seem to bring up some of the stuff that I thought I had put on the forum in the past. Hopefully I'm just not using it correctly and thats why I couldn't bring up the information.

I'm not sure where the PDF tool is and how to use it.  Could someone please comment a little more about that.  Thanks

Rob
  • akcoop
    akcoop Administrator
    Rob, you click on the Adobe symbol at the bottom to pull the thread up in .pdf format.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Rob... The search engine does work pretty well when using your posting name to find your posts. You can also use GOOGLE search on a separate page to find posts either method should eventually find all of your posts and then you can decide what you would like to save.  

The alternate to this method is to open a blank word processing document, then highlight in the OLD FORUM any individual post you would like to keep...copy it... then paste it onto the open word processing document.. save and continue until you have collected all you might want to save.  

When Ted Welch had the CCC the forums were downloadable... but after the take over by the down under folks that functionality was removed when they changed forum software platforms. 
  • Rob Fayette
    Search by Keyword   Search entire posts  Search titles only  Search by User Name

Search Options

Find Posts from  Last visit  Yesterday  A week ago  2 weeks ago  A month ago  3 months ago  6 months ago  A year ago  Any date     And newer  And older  Sort Results by  Title  Number of views  Posting date  Forum     Increasing order  Decreasing order  Jump to Result Number

Show 5 Search Results  Show 10 Search Results  Show 15 Search Results  Show 20 Search Results 
    Search in Categories
  • Rob Fayette
    edited August 2014
    In the search window on the old forum there are several main areas such as "Search by Keyword" , "Search by user name", "Find post from", "Search in Categories"  ," Sort Results by" etc.    I find that if I "search titles only" rather than "Search entire Posts" my searches always come up empty.  They come up empty even if I use keywords that I know I used in the original thread.  I wonder if there is some online documentation somewhere online that shows how to use the search tool.
    Rob
    (I tried to copy the Search window and paste it into this comment but it didn't work very well.  lol.)
  • Aaron:

I agree with RL Chilton. I, also, am not computer savvy. I appreciate ALL info I can get while I try to restore my old Hudsons.

thanks for your efforts

J Lombard
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Unable to log into the old forum to search for info I posted ---
    ??
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Here's what I get when I click on the link you've provided, Aaron:

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hetclub/public_html/oldforum/index.php:1) in /home/hetclub/public_html/oldforum/libraries/joomla/session/session.php on line 423

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]:
    Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output
    started at /home/hetclub/public_html/oldforum/index.php:1) in /home/hetclub/public_html/oldforum/libraries/joomla/session/session.php on line 423

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent
    by (output started at /home/hetclub/public_html/oldforum/index.php:1)
    in /home/hetclub/public_html/oldforum/libraries/joomla/session/session.php on line 426
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    I get the same output Jon but then my browser carries on and lets me into the web page. I'm accessing it via Google Chrome . not tried any other browser
  • RL Chilton
    Same thing.  I get the warning messages, but can still access it with Google Chrome. 
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    No warning notices here - yet.

Hudsonly,
    Alex B
  • Kdancy
    edited October 2014
    Still can not sign in.
    ????
     Went to my PC and pulled up Google Chrome browser. Still can't sign in. 
    ??

• akcoop
    akcoop Administrator
    Kerry, can you still see the posts?

All, the old forum is an OLD forum.  It is running on a really, really old version of Joomla.  So old I might have to take it down just due to security.  We are running on versions of PHP and javascript many years newer.  The error you are seeing are due to routines trying to run and blowing up.  It does appear that you can still see the posts.  I have tried multiple times to try and get into the backend and have not been successful.  I was hoping to do an export and try and load into Vanilla.  Sorry this is the best that we get.

Aaron
  • Kdancy
    A week or so ago I could see the posts. Now I only get the "sign in" front sheet. No where from that point.
    I sure hope all the info isn't lost.
  • akcoop
    akcoop Administrator
    Did you click on the Hudson category below?  The login really doesn't do anything for you. 
  • Kdancy
    The Hudson category was not showing. It is now. Yes
This discussion has been closed.