'35 clutch adjustment

tigermoth
tigermoth Expert Adviser
edited August 2014 in HUDSON
Hello, after a 4 1/2 year layup, the engine is back in the car. The clutch disc was reworked and run prior to the layup. When I was removing the engine I scored the area where the throw out bearing rides. I obtained a NOS pressure plate. I checked the pressure plate "finger" settings prior to installing.
My problem is the clutch pedal when depressed does not completely disengage the transmission from the flywheel. The clutch pedal linkage appears to be correctly adjusted...it seems it does not have enough "throw" to move the pressure plate to completely disengage the transmission from the flywheel. I assume I need to pull the transmission to the pressure plate.

Thank you. Regards, Tom

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    There should be three holes in  the  lever that the pedal link connects to.  Move the link to the inner hole.
  • tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    edited August 2014
    geoff, thank you for the quick reply. ..already in the inner hole...linkage adjusted so all slack out, any other ideas?
     thank you. regards, tom
  • Huddy42
    Huddy42 Senior Contributor
    Just checking, what was the thickness of the gasket you used between the pressure plate and the flywheel.?y
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    A timely post, I'm just about to connect up the operating mechanism on a 35 H8. I've seen the 3 holes in the lever and wondered why 3 holes?

Geoff, when you mention connecting the link to the inner hole, do you mean the middle hole of the 3?
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    It depends on how much throw you have Bob.  Moving to the inner hole gives more throw, but makes the pedal a little harder to push in, something a strapping bloke like you should have no trouble conquering!  Sometimes with a re-corked clutch there is not enough adjustment for correct freeboard of the pedal, so moving the link closer to the centre increases the movement available. 
  • tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    Hello, les, I used the one supplied in the overhaul kit by dale cooper...same gasket I used before the latest engine removal. I do not know the dimension..thin, but I do not have a number....good thought though.
    My latest theory is the corks may have been on the long side, the clutch disc sat uncompressed for 4.5 years and perhaps they just need to be compressed for a bit...as after siting over a long weekend the clutch is working as normal using the inner most hole with all slack/slop out of linkage. I will post if the circumstances change. My thanks to all. Regards, Tom
  • tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    Bob, I believe Geoff is referring to the hole closest to the "axle" of the brake linkage. As Geoff mentions, hole furthest from the axle gives the operator the best leverage, hence lightest pedal force, but provides the least amount of "action" in the mechanism..I.e. less "throw". Regards, Tom
This discussion has been closed.