Where have all the Post gone?

Lee ODell
Lee ODell Senior Contributor
edited August 2014 in HUDSON
I can only go back to post #746 when the Hudson category says there are 21,604 post. There is a lot of good information in those early post and before the forum changed I was able to go all the way back to post #1. Something else od is that as posts are added the number 746 never changes but the message on 746 does change when posts are added.
Where are all the posts going? Is there a way to access all the post? I hope they are not deleted.
Lee O'Dell

Comments

• PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    746 relates to the number of pages I think Lee and within those 746 pages there are that number of posts.

When I go to page 746 at this moment in time (i.e. before I have posted this) I see that the bottom post on there is one of yours from April 2012

I'm sure one of the Admins will be able to answer this but I'd assume that there only a finite amount of storage available to host these messages and that older messages are possibly dropped as newer messages are added.

It could also be , of course, that there is also a limit to the messages that can be displayed and that the older posts are there but in "limbo"
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    Your post is still the final one there http://openforum.hetclub.org/discussion/161368/high-performance-carb

Thinking about it all I have done is responded to your post and not posted a new thread so I wouldn't expect to have seen movement.

I also see a little while up on the final page a message from Jon about the move so it was around this time that the old forum was transitioned to the new location
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    I see 21,606 posts which since I posted twice responding to you might be mine. My page count on this browser is showing 689 now however if I click on the link to your old post in my previous post it still displays.

The old stuff is still there ; it might be vagaries of browsers that cause the difference in display of course as well
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    Can you tell I have some free time! When I checked using Firefox the last page number displayed comes up as 746
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited August 2014

It wasn't taken far enough.  :-B

Math time: There are around 32 threads per page, times 746 pages (at present, page 747 has five (5) threads on it).  I'll leave the answer/total 'open'(number of threads on each page times number of pages plus the number of threads on the last page), as this constantly changes as threads are added...

IMO, the problem with all of this is that the forum was here long before 2012. There appears to be a LOT of history missing, apparently that part of the history 'before' classiccar.com moved the forum to it's current software.  Where is it?  Haven't a clue - I am just one of those who are monitoring and administering what is here -

• akcoop
    akcoop Administrator
    My original intention was to try and import all the old posts. However I do have it loaded and you can look at it. If you go to

http://oldopenforum.hetclub.org

you will see the old Classic Car forum. I tried to export but it is a lot more difficult that I thought. I am not even sure about the search capability. My biggest problem is trying to get logged into as admin and extract information. At least the information is there.

Aaron

• akcoop
    akcoop Administrator
    It does go back to 2004.
  • akcoop
    akcoop Administrator
    Hold on. Somehow a redirect overwrote the home page and now it is going to classiccars.com. Give some time to fix it.

Aaron
  • akcoop
    akcoop Administrator
    Ok, it is fixed now. It will go to the old Classiccar.com forum.

Aaron
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Well, it's great that all that information was saved!  
  • akcoop
    akcoop Administrator
    Is anyone interested in these old posts? This old site comes with a lot of overhead. I will be trying to thin out the content so I can decrease the server footprint of this old site. If no one wants this old information online like this, I can archive it and try and export into a flat file.

Aaron
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    AAron-
    I'm not that computer savvy, but there's is loads of great information in there, especially for folks trying to maintain their HET vehicles.  If there is any way of preserving it and making it so that one could still do a search and find what they are looking for, then it still has great value.  I, for one, would certainly like to be able to access it.  
  • Rob Fayette
    Rob Fayette Expert Adviser
    edited August 2014
    Yes Aaron,
    I am definitely interested in keeping the old posts any way we can.  There is tons of information there and a lot of good threads on how to do things for Hudsons.  Like Russell says, I also believe that  being able to search it is the key to making it really useful.  I certainly realize that its future is held in your hands because you are the one that knows how it works computer wise. I also realize that your help is voluntary and we all owe you a huge thankyou for doing what you have done so far, and what you can do in the future ,to save what you can of this Hudson history and expertise.  Another thing I believe to be  true,is  that the pictures that went with the threads are an integral and important part of the history.  Many, if not most of the threads, contained pictures that helped explain the topic at hand.  Without these pictures many of the threads won't be near as useful in my opinion.
    Rob

(After posting this I realized that Aaron has moved this topic to a new thread.  I decided to move a copy of this post to the new thread Aaron started. )   Rob
This discussion has been closed.