Brake Light Issue

railknight
railknight Expert Adviser
edited August 2014 in HUDSON

I discovered last week when driving home in the dark in my '53 Super Wasp that I have a right rear tail light problem.  When driving during the daytime, the brake lights on both sides will illuminate.  However, when driving at night either with the headlights on or only the parking lights on, the right rear tail light completely goes out when I hit the brake pedal  (the left side continues to operate normally with tail and brake lights).

Complicating this is the fact that my headlight switch is apparently a pullout aftermarket type.  Also, I've had a problem with the turn signal (factory installed) ever since I purchased this car a little over two years ago.  That is, when making a right turn, the flasher unit eventually  gets very hot (after about 10 seconds or more of use) disrupting the right turn signal lights. 

Wondering if the two issues of the brake lights and turn signals are related and where should I begin looking for a problem such as a faded wire insulation or whatever before poking around and possibly making things worse.  Thanks for any help here!

Dan

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The problem you are describing is indeed related to the wiring that is inter-laced with the signal wiring. The first place to look is at the multi bullet connector under the dash. This is the place where all elements of the lighting circuits EXCEPT the headlights come into close proximity. I have found shorts in this area many times when there is a signal, running or brake light problem. The other place for concern is the wiring harness the runs through the left roof area behind the headliner. Hudson cars come from all manner of places. If the car has been left stored outside mice are likely to have taken up residence. The headliner is a favorite home... gnawing on wiring is a know mouse activity. Also look at the multi-bullet connectors in the trunk.. the same comments apply here.

Good Luck
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor

railknight, don't touch the headlight switch area until you've fixed the taillight problem, as the latter may affect what's going on up front.

The taillight/stoplight symptoms are those for a loss of ground on the RH bulb socket.  You can confirm this by using a jumper wire from a good ground on the body or frame, to the bulb socket or the side of the bulb base.  To fix it, clean the base of the bulb and the inside of the socket, and be sure the taillight housing is making good contact with the car body.

• railknight
    Actually, the tail light and the brake light on the right side do work.  It's just that when the headlights are on or just the parking lights, hitting the brake pedal causes the brake AND tail light both to go out.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
     Check the grounding to the housing.
  • Hudson Grandpa
    Hudson Grandpa Expert Adviser
    Geoff is correct. I know this sound screwy but the right rear taillight is at the end of the system, look at the schematic. Got my system working correctly 5 yrs ago. One day someone said you don't have a stoplight.
    If you turn the turn signal on at that point you will see the arrow flashing faster than normal. Weather, time, and age has a little to do with it. The contact points on the bulb, and the holder/bucket get crap on the contacts.
    Think of it as a water pipe. The end of the system needs to be as clean aspossible to accept the water.
    I took everything apart, filed and cleaned all contacts, the bucket was the problem, Before I put everything back together I checked everything with a Auto light tester, but you must have the bucket grounded, to light the bulb. Of course I make sure the bulb is in tip top shape. As old Farmer says also check the junction box next to the Steering Column. Crud in there will not give you a good ground. also do your detective sleuthing on the Junction box in the rear. I think you just lost a good ground somewhere.
  • railknight

Geoff & Hudson Grandpa,

There's a good chance that I could have a poor ground at the tail light itself as I recently replaced the red plastic tail light lense that had a hole in it with a reproduction one.  This, of course, involved removing the light socket to remove the chome tail light fixture against the quarter panel.  Could be that my disturbing of the bulb socket was just enough to create this problem. 

Thanks for both of your suggestions.  I'll be working on it tomorrow, a day off from work,  at my Mom's home where I garage my Super Wasp.  Figures, tomorrow will be uncomfortably hot and humid!  Also will install a new float and sending unit in my fuel tank that I purchased from Paul Schuster at French Lick. 

Dan

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Dan-
    Keep in mind that 6V systems are not twice as finicky as 12V systems when it comes to having a good ground-- they are more like 5 times more finicky.  Cannot stress what Hudson Grandpa and OldFarmer (and Park, who is the guru in wiring issues) have stated already and to re-emphasize that 95% of the time it seems that good clean grounds and good clean contacts all around are usually the culprit.  All your contacts should be "bright and shiny".  Often just a real good cleaning of all your contacts will bring about amazing results.  That's always the place to start (especially with a 6V system).  If the cleaning doesn't do the trick, then it's time to start tracing other potential issues.   
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Good luck.   It is a good idea to actually solder a wire on to the  bulb holder and take it back to a clean spot on the frame.
    Geoff 
  • railknight

Just purchased a soldering iron (vintage Weller) at a flea market a few weeks ago.  Looks like I'll bring it along and also take the time to clean up a good number of ground wire contacts.  Thanks Park_W and  Russell, for emphasizing the importance of always having a very clean grounding contact regarding 6V systems.

Dan

• RonS
    RonS Senior Contributor
    Just went through the same thing on my friends 37 Dodge. A stunning paint job created a break in the continuity between the socket and the taillight housing. A jumper confirmed it.
  • railknight
    Yeah, a simple jumper cable confirmed the same thing for me!  In fact, the jumper cable got the right tail lights to illuminate brighter.  There's a ground wire on the left side rear tail light, but there never was one on the right side since I've owned this Super Wasp.  There'll be one attached on the right side now and soldered onto the bulb socket.   
This discussion has been closed.