Wiper Motor Question - '54 jet

[Deleted User]
edited July 2014 in HUDSON
Hi All,

Just a quick survey to see what people are using for the wiper motor on their Jet.  Have you gone to the $300 electrical motor I saw on a web site or did you fix the vacuum motor?  I have an old vacuum motor that's in rough condition and there was a newer (but still old) electrical motor in the trunk. The are no wires coming out of the electrical motor, so I'd have to take it apart to investigate.

OR..... is there a better solution to having windshield wipers that go back and forth??

I appreciate the help!
Mike

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Yes, there is a cheap and easy solution - use "Rainex".   You just wipe it on the windsheild with a cloth, and forget about using  the wipers.  This causes the water to bead on the windscreen and blow straight off, without any distortion of vision.  Magic stuff.  However, here you have to have wipers in operating condition to  get a  warrant of fitness, so I have modified a generic Japanese electric wiper to fit in the original cradle, and connected  it up to the original cables.  It is not self-parking, but could be made so with a little bit of work on the switching.
    Geoff 
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    You might try introducing some neats foot oil or other lubricant into the vacuum motor, just to see if it improves the operation any.  Let's face it, the vacuum wipers were never ever great, but the did work...after a fashion.  On my '37 I have an optional vacuum pump that works off the fanbelt, as well as NOS wiper motor I picked up off Ebay maybe 3 years ago for $45. On my recent trip to and from the National Meet I hit a lot of rain, and the wipers barely slowed down.  But barring a mechanical or electrical vacuum pump, you will probably be better off with an electric. 

So I'd say: first, suck some lubricant into that wiper motor, turn it back and forth, leave it for awhile to soak, and then try it out. Or if you're daring, look on Ebay for a NOS vacuum wiper for your car and try that out.  Assuming the wiper still stalls on hills, take that electric apart, get the wires hooked up, and see if it runs okay.  Then hook it up to your wipers!
This discussion has been closed.