Fram bypass oil filters

RonS
RonS Senior Contributor
edited July 2014 in HUDSON
Guys, on the accessory oil filters from Fram, did Fram & Hudson install ridged lines to and from the canister at the factory, or were the lines a high pressure rubber flex line?

Comments

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    FYI
    The Lines ive seen always used hi press type hose, not rigid steel line....
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Agreed.  I've seen lots of NOS rubber lines, never seen any metal lines.  
  • Hopefully this will help. Here is some pictures of my NOS kit for my Fram filter.

• RonS
    RonS Senior Contributor
    edited July 2014
    Brandon, what are the lengths of the hoses? Thanks guys. I always had copper lines, but a friend said they were flex. He was right. I always felt that "rubber" would swell, burst and fail, so that was my reason for ridged.
  • Ron

I will go out and check those lengths in the shop tomorrow. I would still have to agree with you on using hard lines. Since the oil filter is bolted to the block and the lines from the filter to the block. There should be little concern for cracks from vibration. I figured one less thing to rot and fail as well. But originally they used high pressure hose so what is one to do?

:-/
  • Here is the lengths and fitting info. The short hose is 6-1/16" long and the long hose is 12-1/16". Both hoses use 1/8-27 NPT fittings, and with one end on each hose utilizing a rotatable fitting.
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    Just an FYI

There are far better Oil Filter Systems available today.. There is a Full Flow System where you modify the oil pump and there is a Spin On Filter Kit System available from Walt Mordenti 415 824 5222 mmordenti@aol.com.....
  • RonS
    RonS Senior Contributor
    The reason for this is a friend is restoring an AACA Grand National Graham Hollywood. Grahams have the filter on the firewall, which requires that the hoses be flexable. I mentioned that I do not like those flex lines, because eventually they will fail and oil pressure will disappear. Good night Gracie. I stated what Brandon said that Hudson filters are on the block, so there is no movement of the lines. My 53 Hornet has had the ridged lines for 20 years, with no grief. But, next March our AACA Region in Tucson is hosting the AACA Grand National, and I plan on entering my Hornet. So the question is should I buy the flex hoses for the Meet and then switch back to the "forgiving " copper lines, or just say the hell with it and leave the copper lines on. What a country... that is the decision of the day, not if I have food for my kids. Thanks very much guys.
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Ron-

It's a low pressure oil system.  Hence, the flex hoses, unless completely dry-rotted are going to work fine. I've been using ones just like in the pics for years.  Even put some on the convertible.  You won't have a problem with them working properly, but I would switch off of the hard lines for authenticity.  
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    The bypass oil filter systems on Studebakers that I have worked on, all had a restrictor oriface to help keep oil pressure up. Does the Hudson version have these?
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Brandon... send me an email with confirmation of your email address.  Are you coming to the SH&O in Granbury TX again this year?  Hope to see you and Will again.
  • Kerry,
    The canisters for the Hudson application, and likely the Study and others as well, have a 1/16th orifice in the side of the center discharge tube, visible only with the element removed. You are correct, in that its function is to restrict flow to reduce pressure loss to an inconsequential level. Since, in the Hudson pressure lubricated engines, the filter oil-supply port doesn't open until pressure has risen to approx. 20 psi, loss isn't an issue below that level, the intent being to prevent sacrifice of flow at low rpms.
    Frank
  • Kdancy
    Frank, I have Walt's screw on filter setup for a 308 I'm now building. Thus the question as I don't see the restricter anywhere in the system. So I see, if I under stand this right, the oil pressure spring ? does not allow the supply port to open until it reaches 20lbs?
  • Kerry,
    True, if you are using the a spin-on, full flow element on an aftermarket base, there is no restrictor in the system beyond the somewhat restrictive 1/8NPT fittings at the block ports unless one has been added somewhere. Larger oil lines to and from the filter base are of no added value since the most restrictive orifice in the circuit still exists at the 1/8 NPT fittings. An engine so equipped will still reach full pressure, but at higher pump output volumes.....meaning somewhat higher rpms. Pump output volume is directly proportional with speed (for purposes of general BS) so the speed at which the output reaches equilibrium with the demand is higher if the total of "leaks" (cumulative cross-sectional areas of all points of oil escape) is greater. When output volume exceeds all demands, the pressure regulator "cracks" at the 40 psi point, allowing the excess volume to escape back to the reservoir.
    The filter supply port and the pressure regulating "blow-off" port exist in a staggered orientation so that the filter supply port is uncovered at the approximate 20 psi point in the regulator plunger travel. Of course, the plunger reaches the blow-off port at the 40 psi point, disallowing pressures above that.
    Class dismissed.....Miller time!
    Go! SeaHawks!
  • ps
    I'm firmly gripping my chair in anticipation of a nasty, rough ride.
    F
  • Kdancy
    Frank, thanks for the lesson! All good info. I'm building another 308 that your setup is going on.
  • K,
    Thanks for the note. I've been wondering when that project was to be done. Please keep me "in the loop".
    Frank
This discussion has been closed.