Looking For Grandpa's 1950 Super Six

[Deleted User]
edited July 2014 in HUDSON
Hello all, My name is Andrew and am Frank Hammer's oldest grandson. Frank was active in California HET community in the 1960s-90's.
I loved traveling around with him, going to meets and looking for old cars. One of my fondest memories was at the Harrahs swap meet and auction, I believe it might have been the last one? As I remember, we hauled a 1940 Hudson out and back from Groveland Ca. He didn't sell it as I remember. One of the HET guys bought me my first Wendy's burger there. I also still have the Studebaker pocket watch he found in a pawnshop in Reno on that trip.

Well anyway, I am inquiring if any of you might know (or remember something about) Franks Texas Tan (copper colored) 1950 Super Six ? Neither of his sons or grandma  knew who he sold it to, and we never found any paperwork after Grandma died.
I was with him when he bought the car from an elderly couple in Big Oak Flat Ca. I want to say for $800. 
I also helped with the frame-off restoration as a teen, mostly sanding. 

As I remembered he sold it sometime around 2000.
At the time I wasn't in a position to own or maintain a collector car and so he didn't offer it to me.
He knew I loved that car, but he had issues with how hard I was on "stuff"".

So I'm older, somewhat more mature and treat my stuff better, I inherited most of his tools and enjoy working on vehicles .(I have 2 1974 Pinzgauers)
 I'm looking to buy back that 50 or maybe a Hornet. He had a few of them when I was a kid and I want one for myself and the family .

Any and all tips or leads will be greatly appreciated and I hope to be an active member of your Club.
Best regards to you-all

Andrew A.
Houston TX  

Comments

• 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator

Welcome aboard! 

Good to have you.  I'm sure you'll find a wealth of information here, and hopefully some answers to your search.

You may also want to visit the Hudson Essex Terraplane Club website, and consider joining that Club - Members come for the cars, and stick around because of the great folks there!

We hope you enjoy your time here at the Hudson Essex Terraplane 'Open Forum' -

• Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    I hope you find it. I looked in past HET Club Rosters hoping I could find him there. I did, however, Frank did not list any cars in the roster that he had.

You might contact the Hudson club chapter he belonged to at the time he sold the car. May be a slim chance someone may be able to help.

If you can come up with a vin # that would help a lot if the current owner is in the Hudson Club.

Good luck
    Lee O'Dell

• akcoop
    akcoop Administrator
    Any chance you have pictures or any distinguishing characteristics? (interior or other accessories on the car).  What about engine and body style?  That kind of detail helps.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2014
    Thanks the the reply's. He was a member of the Southern California Chapter, I'll check with them.

He was good freinds of Bill Albright, he visted us outside of Yosemite where he lived when he sold the 50. Frank had a nine car garage full of Hudsons in Groveland Ca.
    He took me to the Twin H ranch a few times also.I remember him selling a bunch of NOS  stock to Bill he had found in a closed dealership in Chico Calif. It's great Bills Grandson is continuing the tradition.

I'll have to look to see If I have any pictures of the 50, all I know is I have a picture of his 1931 Straight 8 Coupe with me and my brother on the running board I'll tryto scan and post if you all want to see it for posterity.

Thanks again.
    Andrew
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    We all love pictures.  Post all you can find, especially of the '50 you are looking for, as it would help possibly in locating it.  
  • Great !
    I found about 80 Hudson related photos. I organized them last night, there are a few of the 1950 plus a number of his and other project cars he sold to members with progress documented. Also various meets and a coupe of pics from the Twin 8 Ranch in 1999 I think.

Now if I can get my wife to help me with the scanner.
    :-S
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2014

• Last photo is dated Santa Cruz 1978
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor

Do you know what the license plate number/state of origin were - sometimes these things still have the plates on them...

• California
This discussion has been closed.