1947 and '48 Hudson commodore for sale

[Deleted User]
edited July 2014 in Vehicles

Hello everybody I'm posting to help a friend of mine sell these.

The first is a 1947 Hudson Commodore Six 2dr club coupe and is in very good condition.  It was originally blue was painted 10 years ago, and a 350 with auto transmission and a rear end out of a Ford Falcon were added. It is a beautiful driver or can be restored easily. The other is a 1948 Hudson Commodore Six Convertible Brougham is in great condition. According to Hagerty there were only 49 of these produced. I verified this with a phone call and they said they do not put any thing on their web site with out it being checked a million and 1 times. All original numbers matching leather power everything three on the tree. Engine was just rebuilt. They are both in California.  Asking $65,000 for the pair. Otherwise $50,000 for the 1948 convertible and $19,000 for the 1947 coupe.  If you are interested you can call me at (510)566-30 78 Serious buyers only please.

Comments

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Wow. That was fast!   I should've looked around a bit first, I suppose. 

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    What makes you think there were only 49 of the '48 Convertibles?
  • Hi RL. They only made 49 of the Commodore "six" convertibles. They made 65 "eights". I was looking on Hargertys website and I read this. If you go to the link it is in the second paragraph last sentence. I even called and they said what they put up is checked over and over. But this is why I came here If you have information otherwise...

http://www.hagerty.com/price-guide/1948-Hudson-Commodore

• I do not believe there is a firm number on any production figured of convertibles built. I would add that while they are a fairly accurate representation, I just cannot put full faith in the numbers. With that said, I also feel that Hudson convertibles survived at a higher percentage than most other makes. Can I prove it? no. 

FWIW, that 48 is a great looking car. I don' t understand the second generation or third generation thing, but it is a nice looking car. 

My advice, sell them separate. I think that the appeal of the coupe with the 350 is for one segment of buyer, while the stepdown convertible is appealing to another set. It will be easier to sell them not as a package. 

Also, get them to French Lick, like tomorrow! I heard there is an ALL HUDSON show there.....

Best of luck, for you and your friend. 
  • 1941 and 42 are first gen. 46-47 are second and 48-1952 are third. it is the body style. Like the 1967-1969 Camaro are first generation. I will look into posting them separating. We are not against taking offers for them separate if we have to. But thank you for taking time to look and your input.

• Okay guys we have lowered the price. Seller wants to sell. Serious buyers only please The cars are in California Thanks
  • Does the owner have the missing trim and chrome to go with the 48? 

I think the price on the 47 is pretty fair, it seems to be pretty well done, at least from the pictures. 
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited July 2014

Actually, from what I can see of the earlier Hudson - it is a '46, not a '47.  This observation is only based upon the front center chrome hood piece (the one with the Hudson emblem that lights up). That piece is one-year only.  The '47 has a pronounced secondary lip around it (one-year only on the '47 as well). 

The serial number would 'tell the tale' as far as the year.  It can be found on the right-front door pillar, roughly at the level with the glove box...

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Hudman82, unless your friend has to sell this car in the next month or so, he would be well advised to advertise it in the WTN (White Triangle News, for those who don't know -- the official magazine of the Hudson Club). The ad deadline is August 1, for the issue that is published about September 15.  Even if you're not a Club member you can get the ad published free, so long as you work through a current Club member (I'd be glad to help you).  There are many more viewers of the magazine than of this Forum, due to the fact that many Hudson club members are not yet online.  You can reach me at XXXdetailed@verizon.net (delete the XXX before sending).
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator

The '48 has shown up on Craigslist, and someone has posted the Craigslist offer on the HET Club Facebook page.  A lot more pictures on that listing -

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/4587146879.html

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    I would be interested in the vin number. I notice it has a "8" on the dash above the radio. If it was originally a six, that would be a "6".  It wouldn't take much to make the car a bit more authentic, rear bumper center and guards for one.. exterior and interior Colors? Sure is pretty..
This discussion has been closed.