Fuel issue?

Commodore_254
Commodore_254 Member
edited July 2014 in HUDSON
I have a 1951 Commodore 8 with the 254. In the beginning of June I drove it from Joliet to Indianapolis for the Good Guys car show without any issues. Three weeks ago I drove it and and my wife who was following me said it's smoking like a freight train. The weather here in Chicago area is finally dry and my car sits in the garage!!!

After a night of test drives and adjustments I accidentally left the key on and fouled the iginition points. I have since cleaned the contacts, reset the gap (dwell) and reset the timing. My dwell angle is a little low, 21 when it should be about 27 degrees.

The smoke is whiteish and is constant (start, idol, acceleration). It smells like unburnt fuel. What do I do next?

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Your indication of "white smoke" is most likely a coolant leak into the combustion chamber.

A way to ID if this leak is into the combustion chamber is to pull
    Radiator cap, start and warm car. Look
    Into the radiator filler neck and if you see a steady stream of bubbles accelerate the engine to see if more bubbles occur. More bubble = combustion leak. White smoke = coolant leak into combustion chamber.
  • DavidC
    DavidC Senior Contributor
    Agreed. Fuel is black, oil is blue-gray
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser

Also the smell will be " sweet" if you have antifreeze in system. Most likely head gasket.

Try retightening head bolts first

This discussion has been closed.