Charging issues

dave11
dave11 Expert Adviser
edited July 2014 in HUDSON

I suspect my 52 Hornet is overcharging the battery, one of the battery filling caps popped off a while back. Any suggestions on how to best test the charge rate. I am replacing the battery after two years, don't want to replacing it in another two years.

Dave Eddie

Comments

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    use a voltmeter at the battery. Are you 6 or 12v ?
  • dave11
    dave11 Expert Adviser
    6 volt
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser

7.2 volts at the battery , approx. 1500 rpm. Recheck with headlights and heater motor on.

A bad cell in the battery can cause gassing and blow the cap off.

• dave11
    dave11 Expert Adviser
    At 1500 rpm with headlights and heater on I have at charge of 8.3 volts. Can the voltage regulator be adjusted, or better to replace ?

Dave
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    You need to   tweak the spring anchor for the voltage coil, and reduce the tension to cut the voltage back to 7.2 volts.
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser

Are you testing it with the new battery in? A bad battery may cause an overcharge.

If you have a new battery , then look at the online repair manual on how to adjust the voltage regulator.

Also check your ground wire connections at the generator and regulator. Make sure they are clean and tight and the wire is not broken.

• dave11
    dave11 Expert Adviser
    New battery, will recheck all grounds then look into a regulator adjustment.
    Thanks Gentlemen

Dave Eddie
This discussion has been closed.