1950 Hudson Steering Column

ernie28
ernie28 Expert Adviser
edited July 2014 in HUDSON
I recently got a NOS brown rubberised garnish piece (as shown on the Commodore photo, behind the chrome piece) to tidy up the steering column on the Pacemaker. 
Looking at fitting it today, I discover that the steering column is sitting too high for it to fit. I have attached photos of the column as it is now plus one of the way it is mounted underneath. With it being too high for the garnish piece, is there something missing with the way it is mounted under the dash - a spacer or such like, or is it just not supposed to have this garnish piece? The car was LHD and converted to RHD in the early 50's
The advise from you experienced Hudsonites would be much appreciated.

Alistair, NZ

Comments

• ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    Thanks Doc, I will check when I get home but I suspect you will be correct.

Does anyone have a 223184 available? as I will probably have a 223187 available!
  • cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser
    edited July 2014

Is there ANYTHING that wasn't unique on the '50 Pacemaker?

For a car that was supposed to be a lower priced model, Hudson sure spent a lot of time and money coming up with unique parts.  To make it worse, it doesn't seem like they used many of them in '51. 

Just a guess, but I'm thinking decisions like these didn't exactly help the financial health of the company.

• Hudsonrules
    Hudsonrules Senior Contributor
    Hudson "bean counters" were not always watching, or they were not listened to by upper managment.
This discussion has been closed.