Hudsonkid is Back...................

Hudsonkid
Hudsonkid Member
edited July 2014 in Street Rods
Guess it has been too long. 

Anyway, I am trying to sorta get back into the Hudson thing. I keep looking at it, and it needs to be fixed up again. Right now, I am wanting to convert my 50 C-6 to a 700r4 so I can enjoy it. Sorry everyone, the stick setup is not for me anymore. I really just want to make it a nice easy driver and cruiser, and if that means converting to a 700r4 I think it is the easiest solution. So whatever I can find to help me along to my goal would be great. 

Once I am made an 'official member" I will catch up with everyone on the goings on in my life. 

Best!
Rick 

Comments

• 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator

Hudsonkid - Hi Rick, good to have you back and 'hanging around' the forum...  You are now a 'full member', and should be able to post  threads, comments, and send PMs...

• Hudsonkid
    Hudsonkid Member
    edited July 2014
    Thanks!

I promise to behave.
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Howdy Rick!  Glad to have you back and look forward to hearing what you've been up to.  Still the only source I know of for a 700R-4 conversion was/is Danny Spring.  At one time, he pretty much had the set-up perfected, including being able to use either a modern GM-type of starter OR an original Hudson starter.  

Miss seeing your avatar!
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited July 2014
    FYI

The 200R4 is a great alternative too. Its the same size as a TH350, lot smaller than a 400R and easier to fit under the floor, not to mention into the center 'X'. The 200 can be modified to take a lot of HP & Torque, but unnecessary behind a stock 262.... I hook an 'adjustable shifter Rod' (from e bay) to the column end Link, then put a Neutral Switch with an 'Arm' at end of Rod on firewall side...
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited July 2014
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    FYI

Randy Maas & Dany Spring in Ca both sell GM Trans Adaptors. Only need to bore the Hudson flywheel center hole & Index (Clock) drill the flywheel for 3 GM Converter bolts....

Keep in mind, If change to Any Automatic requires raising the Rear End Ratio about One Point. (Ie) 4.09 with Std and 3.07 with an  Automatic. However, the 200 & 400 being 'Overdrive's' may get by with around 3.50 Ratio.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    I been wonderin where you wuz
  • I have sent an email to Wilcap, waiting on a response. 

Randy Maas' setup is probably the best, but the shipping a trans case part is sorta the deal killer for me. I can't take one down that far, and put it back together. 

Dany Spring, I need to try and reach him. With the KGAP stuff and all, I did not know what to really do. It is worth a try. 

Right now, I just want to secure an adapter plate (sounds like a Johnny Cash song... especially the way my hudson has been over the last many years, "One piece at a time" ) 

You seasoned pro's, does it get any easier? lol........

My hudson currently has a 4:11 and that is the appeal for the 700r4 maybe I should consider the 200R, the reduction is my goal. 

So, if anyone has contact for Dany, that would be great. 

If anyone can tell me that shipping case to Randy isn't as bad as I think it is, talk me into it. I know that anything that comes from 21st century hudson will be right, no questions. 

*UPDATE* just got a reply from Wilcap, 2 wks, $660 plate, and starter is $145. 
  • ugh, one more question.... 

(well a few...) 

I understand (from reading posts) mostly what is involved, I hate the idea of cutting the rear trans mount, hopefully (Hudsondad, lol ) can cut it so if I ever decide to return the car to stock, it can be done. Any other issues? With the mini starter from Wilcap, it will be a 12 volt conversion, which is probably for the best. 

Anyone out there get a Wilcap adapter? and how well made is it? Alignment, correct fit? 

thanks everyone!

Glad to be back, sorta in some capacity. 

Rick 

• hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    Hudsonkid wrote: "I keep looking at it, and it needs to be fixed up again. Right now, I am
    wanting to convert my 50 C-6 to a 700r4 so I can enjoy it. Sorry
    everyone, the stick setup is not for me anymore."

Don't be embarassed by driving an auto shift - I can't really drive a stick myself anymore. And there's probably a lot of us in the same boat.  In my case knees are bad for one thing - and I'm not sure, after all these years, I could remember what I was doing.

Anyway - Welcome back.  Looking fwd to your future posts.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • I put a lot of thought into it, and I really feel that if this was automatic, I would be more inclined to drive it, work on it, and ultimately, enjoy it. Not that I can't drive stick, and not that the wet clutch is not a great system, I just think this change would bring it to the front of my interests again. if it gets it back on the road, and out of sitting in a storage unit doing nothing but aging, I guess it is a small sacrifice. 
  • maasfhcenturylinknet
    maasfhcenturylinknet Senior Contributor
    I am a Wilcap distributor and have the adapter setup in stock. Includeslthe adapter plate, crank spacer, lightweight flywheel and starter.  Perfect fit.  Adapts to the 350, 400, and overdrive trans.

Randy Maas
  • That might make a good combo with my EFI.

Could run the 700r4, 4l60E or even the 4l80E for the big HP 308 guys.

I may need to look into it when I get my 308 built this winter.
  • Randy, 

I sent a quick conversation on the board here. Thanks for the reply! 

Rick 

This discussion has been closed.