35 Terraplane Horn Wiring

35 Terraplane
35 Terraplane Senior Contributor
edited July 2014 in HUDSON
Still working on the wiring for my 35 Terraplane and have a question on the horn wiring.  The horn trim ring had been broken at some point in the cars life before I got it.  When I unthreaded the trim ring the wire was in place but nothing else under the button.  By luck I found a guy who has a 35 Hudson 8 rusting away in his field. Managed to get him to sell me the trim ring, horn button and copper washer off the steering wheel.  Is there a part missing.  I'm thinking there should be a spring involved.  Does anyone know how the parts stack up and what I'm missing? 

As for the 35 Hudson 8, he wanted $8,000 2 years ago.  Said a Rod guy would want it.  I called him back this spring and he was down to $4500.00.  It's in pretty rough condition, no glass, no interior.  He does have it up on blocks and the body, engine and running truck aren't bad .  He'd removed the engine hood, radiator shell & grill years ago and said they were in his barn.  Guess I'll try him again next spring. 
Thanks,
Tom

Comments

• bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    There should be a small spring in the system to keep the contact on the end of the wire pressed up against the brass spoked gizmo. 

There is probably a correct way to do it but it electrically it doesn't matter if the spring is between the nut and the washer or between the washer and the contact.
  • 35 Terraplane
    Thanks Bob,
    After I saw your reply I got to thinking about the Chassis parts book I have.  I found the attached plate with the addition of my mark up.  I inspected the steering wheel more closely and saw the Contact Cup was bent.  It appears that whoever tried removing it by prying it off chipped the material on the steering wheel and distorted the Contact Cup in the process.  The bottom of the cup is no longer flat and the helix on one side that the Button cover screws onto is distorted as well.  The opposite side is in good order.  Going to do a little lathe work and make sort of a die set to get the contact cup back into I hope original shape.  I see a spring listed on the plates for other year Terraplane's & Hudson's but not the 35.  I'm hope with the contact cup straightened out and the "new" parts I purchased I'll get the horn working again.
    Tom
  • bob ward
    Thanks Tom, that helps a lot. The horn button recess in the Hudson steering wheel is a smidgin under 2.5" diam and .750" deep, presumably that is the same as the Terraplane recess, ie the T & H use the same components?

Below is my collection of horn button bits and pieces (thanks to Huddy42  for some of them), I think all that I'm missing is the threaded contact cup.

Anyone have one they can spare?

• 35 Terraplane
    Bob,
    What year is your car? The steering looks different then my 35. There are other plates in the parts book I can post.
    Tom
  • bob ward
    Oops! Its a 35 H8. 
  • Huddy42
    Huddy42 Senior Contributor
    edited July 2014
    Bob, what do you mean by the threaded cap.? That wheel looks like the one I had on my 1934 Hudson, memory 1935 is different.!
  • 35 Terraplane
    The plate I attached, #49, is listed on the part number page as being for 32-33 Terr, 34-35 Hud-Terr, 36 Terr.
    Mark M8-22, Horn Contact Cup is held in place by the nut holding the steering wheel to the shaft.  It's shown in the pictures I attached.  M8-2 threads onto it to hold the horn button, M8-1 and Horn Button spring, M8-5 in place.  When the button is pushed the spring makes contact with the contact cup to complete the ground/earth circuit.  At least I think this is how it works.  Haven't gotten the contact cup straightened out yet but will let you know if it works when I do.
    Tom
  • bob ward
    Looking at my 35 horn button bits and pieces again it turns out I do have a threaded contact cup. You have to love the internet for quickly sorting out obscure details. Thanks again for the info Tom.

Les, do you think my steering wheel is 34 rather than 35?
  • Huddy42
    Bob,'
    That wheel is the same as the one I had on my 1934 Hudson 8 cyl, can't actually remember what was on my 1935,I came to the conclusion MANY years ago, that Hudson used many parts on different model regardless of year, so yours could be right. Remembering we ended up with all the left over rubbish from the USA.LOL Re the screwed cap, wasn't that a part that I included with the other bits and pieces.?????
  • 35 Terraplane
    Hello Everyone,
    I know this isn't much but thought some may want to see it.  Finally got around to the die set for the horn contact ring.  Measured the contact ring and it had close to a 3 degree angle on the cylindrical part.  Makes sense, common draft angle for stamped parts.  Put 3 degrees on the male part and on the ID/OD of the sleeve plus a little lead on the OD of the sleeve.  Tapped the sleeve down on the contact ring then tapped the bottom of the ring down on the male part.  Rounded it up nicely, flattened the bottom of the return flange of the contact ring and flattened the overall bottom where it contacts the steering wheel.  I'm expecting my new wiring harness sometime in mid September.  I'll let you know then if the horn works.
    Regards,
    Tom
  • bob ward
    Nice job, thanks for sharing.
  • Huddy42
    I wonder how many of those in my stash.??

• 35 Terraplane
    Huddy,
    If you have a few and are willing to part with one I'd wouldn't mind having a spare. Can never have enough spares.
    Tom
  • 35 Terraplane
    Hello All,
    Received my wiring. Looks very nice. I was starting with the head lights. The reflectors are in good condition but look to need cleaning / polishing. They have small white specs. Is silver polish the ticket?
This discussion has been closed.