Nice '46 Mod but money loser

Comments

• 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited July 2014

Think this car was built-by & owned by 'Hudson Dave'.  He has a 'Diamondback Tire' dealership also - http://www.fatwhitewalls.com/

Think he still has the 'twin' to the car, his '46 Hudson Pickup...

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    WHY NOT??  It's got a 350 in it!   (:|
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    Saw this car up close recently at RK Motors Charlotte.  Beautifully done, but .  .  .    .
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor

Not to be confused with SuperDave..  Both from Florida.

I love Chevy 350's.......  in Chevrolets.  .LOL 

• Frankvintagefullflowcom
    Frankvintagefullflowcom Senior Contributor
    "Newly formed small company"? Hudson?
    We've seen this one go by before.
    Too bad.....the car was worthy of a proper restoration instead.
    F
  • RL Chilton
    It's a beautiful car and I'm glad they saved it.  
  • TOM-WA-
    TOM-WA- Senior Contributor
    NICE LOOKING CAR, BUT..

IF IT IS INDEED OWNED BY A HET MEMBER HE HAS GOT TO KNOW THAT HIS ASKING PRICE IS CRAZY......... HE IS PROBABLY FISHING IN E BAY TO SEE IF HE CAN CATCH A LUCKY BID.

DOSENT HELP THAT IT'S GOT A 350 IN IT EITHER..THAT DETRACTS FROM THE VALUE RATHER THAN ADDING TO IT
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    edited July 2014
    Kind of funny . .  .  If we were not Hudson folks and were looking at a beautifully done resto-rod '49 Mercury, would we be chuckling over what we think is an exorbitant price?  I doubt it.  It'll be interesting to see what interest my "original configuration" sedan, at less than half the price, brings when the ad in the Jul-Aug WTN begins to circulate.
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    I fondly remember folks saying that if you build a Hudson you most likely will not get good money when it is time to sell it. I was in need of money a few years back and put my English Hudson up for sale. $35,000 was the best offer that I had (1936 Hudson Stratton Sport Saloon). That would put it in the same class as a fair condition stepdown coupe or a nicely restored stepdown sedan. I would have thought that a "Classic Hudson" with less than five built and only two existing would bring more? The other car like mine is for sale in England for $150, 000. I got a call last week from a gentleman that had seen photos of my car and he made me an offer of $25,000. Needless to say, it most likely will never go anywhere--except to a few Hudson car shows....
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    Somebody once told me that in order to make money on restoring Hudson's you should restore Fords and Chevy's and plow the profits from that into the Hudson.  LOL

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • TOM-WA-
    BROWNIE:

ARE YOU SAYING THAT YOU THINK $35k IS A FAIR PRICE FOR THESE CARS??

BrowniepetersenBrowniepetersen

July 16
    QuoteFlag

I fondly remember folks saying that if you build a Hudson you most
    likely will not get good money when it is time to sell it. I was in need
    of money a few years back and put my English Hudson up for sale.
    $35,000 was the best offer that I had (1936 Hudson Stratton Sport
    Saloon). That would put it in the same class as a fair condition
    stepdown coupe or a nicely restored stepdown sedan
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    No Tom, That is not what I mean to say. I do notice that well restored coupe's and convertibles bring those kind of prices. I do car appraisals and have access to a number of lists and auction pricing. Car prices are fickle and move all over the place so my statement is more general or what I would call a "WAG" (wild a$$ guess). With the cost of restorations increasing naturally car prices will go up. The day of restoring a car for ten grand seems to be gone. And, as my wife will say: "you can ask what you want for a car but they are only good for what they sell for." From this example one would say that my car is valued from between $35,000 and $150,000. Since neither one has sold, there is no way to put a price on it. However, I have seen coupes sell from $10,000 #2 car, to $71,000 #1Car.
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    And then there was those two idiots who got in a cat fight at an auction and laid out $150k for a, as I recall, 1952 Hornet Sedan!!!!  So, does this mean sedans from that era are worth $150k.  Russ Chilton would say they are - but he's very proud, and rightfully so, of his two 1952 (Sedan and Convertible) Hudsons.  IMHO a good solid condition 1 Hornet sedan in the 1951-1954 era would possibly be worth, oh, $25,000 to $30,000 - actual value.
    The bottom line is that when the economy tanks goods (or things if you wish) then become the norm - by norm I mean the prices tend to go up because those people with money are looking for returns, not ownership.  Example:  A car (using what I know about) that goes off the auction block for, say, $60K, today will more than likely be flipped within 6 to 8 weeks because the winner of the auction is into investments - and that's what a car is worth to him.  He knows he can flip it probably make $20k (or more) in 6 to 8 weeks to a buyer who will hope to flip it in another 6 to 8 weeks for a higher price.  These people do the same in the stock market when the economy is improves.  And when the economy drops off, then we will have another round of inflated auction prices on, not only cars, everything saleable - stamps, coins, old cars, etc, etc. 
    We are living in a time when accumulated wealth is the goal of those who have it - as opposed to the era I grew up in when craftmanship was the goal.  Building things the way they should be built - when workmen took pride in their jobs and the things they made.
    That's the way I see it.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • RL Chilton
    I mostly agree with you, Alex.  With the exception that a stepdown sedan is worth 150K.  Not to me, it's not.  As Brownie pointed out, it's worth what you can sell it for.  
  • TOM-WA-

RL ChiltonRL Chilton

10:27AM
    QuoteFlag

I mostly agree with you, Alex.  With the exception that a stepdown
    sedan is worth 150K.  Not to me, it's not.  As Brownie pointed out, it's
    worth what you can sell it for. 

THAT BEING SAID IT WOULD APPEAR THAT MOST HUDSONS THAT ARE BEING OFFERED FOR SALE THIS PAST YEAR OR SO ON E BAY ARE "NOT" WORTH THE ASKING PRICES BECAUSE THEY CERTAINLY HAVEN'T BEEN SELLING
  • bigboy308
    bigboy308 Expert Adviser
    Silly observation by me, perusing the accompaning  Ad--
    Aren't the hood braces mounted incorrectly?  Shouldn't they be reversed side-to side?  Only reason I'm asking is that my father told me a story about one of his buddy's Hudson pickup braces that were reversed--just touching one made the hood come down like a guillotine!!

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

THANX!!
  • Frankvintagefullflowcom
    Frankvintagefullflowcom Senior Contributor
    Good eye! They are installed backwards. I'm not certain what the effect of that would be since they are equally rigid either way when extended but I'd assume there are clearance issues in a stock car. Don't know about that one. They must clear or they would hang up on something.
    They are prone to unexpected collapse if you're not careful. I have drilled holes in each side, at the overlapping area of the arms, and keep hairpin clips handy to lock it when the hood is open. I always put those pins in place at shows. Even a gust of wind will slam it shut. Bad. Certainly, the springs have weakened some with age......but then, so have I.
    Crap.....now I'm wondering if mine are on wrong.

Frank
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    edited July 2014
    The hood braces on my 47 PU are opposite of those on that beautiful sedan. Hood stays up fine.

Last year Lance (Hudzilla) was having 46-47 hood springs reproduced for those of us that have with weak, broken or missing springs. It's been about a year since I contacted him about the springs availability. Maybe they have been made by now. I believe he was having a batch of 50 made.
    Lee O'Dell
  • TOM-WA-
    edited July 2014
    ALWAYS AMAZED HOW WE CAN START OFF A POST TALKING ABOUT THE VALUE OF OUR HUDSONS AND BY THE TIME WE END UP WE ARE DISCUSSING HOOD SPRINGS

LOL..HILARIOUS

I THINK MANY OF US HAD ADD (ATTENTION DEFICIT DISORDER)  LONG BEFORE THEY EVER KNEW IT EXISTED.
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    Guilty of ATTENTION DEFICIT DISORDER. I usually look at beginning topic before replying to post but this time ADD took over.

I fell in love with this car the first time I saw it years ago. I really liked reviewing all the very good photos. One particular photo showing the aluminum radiator caught my eye.

I would like to know what vehicle the BeCool aluminum radiator was made for and part number. Looks good in this sedan. It would make a nice looking radiator for my 47 PU I'm fixing up. Anyone have a clue what car it was designed for?

Lee O'Dell
This discussion has been closed.