Hubcaps shifting on Jet-who had the fix?

Joe30Essex
Joe30Essex Expert Adviser
edited July 2014 in HUDSON
Noticed after some long, high-speed driving, that the full size hubcaps on my Jet are shifting. I'm concerned about shearing the valve. Seems like someone had a fix for this, but I can't seem to find it. Any help would be appreciated before the drive to French Lick!

Joe D.

Comments

• 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator

Here you go - I recalled that it was Russell's thread...

http://openforum.hetclub.org/discussion/164338/hubcaps-don039t-lose-039em#Item_16

• Rocket
    Rocket Senior Contributor
    could someone tell me dose this thing losing hubcaps and shifting happen on 1936 Hudson fullsize caps I have not put mine on my car yet and would like to know before I do thanks.
  • Joe30Essex
    Joe30Essex Expert Adviser
    That's it!! Thanks, Rick!
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    FYI

Another Tip that I found for securing full Hub Caps & Beauty Rings is to put GE Clear Caulk (the ahesive type) on 4 or 5 spots on the wheel or Hupcap. It also stops the annoying creaking when drive along side a parked car....
  • Hudson Grandpa
    Hudson Grandpa Expert Adviser
    This is also what I didn't know on my 54 wheels that help to keep the caps from shifting. These are pics of my left front. You will see two bumps on either side of the cap. In one of my (duh) syndromes I thought if I filed down the one on the right rim the hubcap would go on easier. WRONG!! They were there for a reason. My friend this next week is going to weld a new bump on for me so the left hubcap stops shifting.
    I've had to re position it about every two drives. I'm sure not all rims have these, but just wanted everyone to know what they are there for..
  • Hudson Grandpa
    Hudson Grandpa Expert Adviser
    sorry about the pics.. Heres the right ones
  • StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    Use a steel /brass valve stem that attaches to the wheel with a nut.   Your wheel cover can not bend it over.  Done.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    edited July 2014
    Rocket
    I doubt that the full size 36 caps would actually come off given they are held on by the 5 central spring clips. 
    They may well rotate though, and driving is probably the only way to determine that. There could well be a reason why those caps were a one year only item. 

I like the idea of using the brass/stainless valve stem. 

Hudson vs Jet wheels and full face hubcaps. 
    Believe it or not, the Jet and Hudson full face hubcaps used 2 different anti rotation methods on otherwise identical hubcaps, and both will slice your rubber valve stem if they are used on the wrong wheel.

The 54 Hudson wheel had ONE lump on the rim next to the valve stem and the hubcap was made to suit that one lump.

The Jet wheel had TWO lumps about 1" either side of the valve stem, and the hubcap was made to suit those two lumps.

Looking at Hudson Granpa's photos it looks like Hudson may have got a bit smarter during the year and supplied wheels with 3 lumps so the hubcaps could interchange.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    A couple of photos to show the difference in anti-rotation detail between the Hudson and Jet full face hubcaps.
    Hudson is the first photo.
This discussion has been closed.