Cost factor and the flathead re-build

RL Chilton
RL Chilton Administrator, Member
edited July 2014 in HUDSON
For those who haven't seen it, here is an interesting write-up on the cost factor of re-building a mildly-hopped up 308 from a former forum member.  I can't remember, but I'm thinking this is about 7 or 8 years old?  

Great write-up and the main point to take away is to realize that re-building a 308 (even stock) is far from an inexpensive endeavor.  It's why there are a gazillion and one 350 Chevy's out there when you go to a car show (you can build one for just over half the cost of a Hudson).  

My last Hudson re-build (except for the sourcing of parts) was largely done by others, including the tear down and assembly and was (prohibitively) expensive.  Even my wife doesn't know what I spent!  

I think in the next year or two I am going to do the next one and except for the machining, I plan on doing the rest myself.  A good cost comparison between the two builds will be at least interesting (and fun).

This isn't a complaint, by any means.  It's just the nature of the beast.  To me, it's worth whatever the cost.   

And the proof is in the pudding.  I had the sedan at a car show last weekend.  There was a gorgeous Mustang convertible (super clean!) right next to us that was truly unbelievable.  While they got a few lookers, I didn't stop talking to folks for 3 hours.  I don't think there were ever less than 10 people around the car all night.  We often had to have people step back so someone could take a picture.  Not one, but several guys told me they were staying until we left because they couldn't wait to see the car driving down the lane.  And yes, I'll admit that it does stroke my ego to some degree, but more than that, it's really special bringing smiles to so many faces.  I just couldn't do that with another 350. ;)

http://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/Hudsonator.pdf

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited July 2014
    Hudsonator- is Mark Hudson who lives in Red Rolling Springs Tenn. Mark and his Dad Larry are my friends, They enjoy the challenges of making a flat head engine run the way it should and putting it through the paces. Several years back these fine men provided me with a personal tour of their former tobacco barn Hudson Haven. Former Tractor pulling experiences were strongly intermingled with the likes of Jack Clifford after market bits and plain old fashioned mechanical know how. Mark is a great teacher and has shared his wide variety of knowledge through the vocational school systems of his home area. Unfortunate for those who frequent this forum and others, Mark has moved on to other interests and "making a living". Larry can be found driving the Super 6 or Jet on the roads of rural Tennessee. Might be a chance to stop in again and see what this duo is cooking up for their Hudson.
  • RL Chilton
    If you get an update, please let us know.  I miss Mark being here on the forum.  
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    That's a great article - I may scrounge a copy and put it in the online library.
    Russell, it's amazing how many people who do go to all make car shows say the same thing as you have said about attention.  Not to surprising when you think of it - back in the day Ford, and Chevy, production lines probably put out in a month what Hudson did in 6 or 8 months.  So you don't see many Hudson lurking in the shadows and when people see them they wonder what it is.
    Also, over the years, I've noticed that other make owners tend to brush off anyone asking questions - Hudson owners, on the other hand, love to talk about their great cars.  And people will listen. People are stunned when a Hudson owner invites them to sit in the car - especially the kids, letting them get up close and personal with Doc Hudson.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • 48Sed
    48Sed Senior Contributor
    edited July 2014
    Alex
    I was at a show yesterday and you are correct many people stopped by to talk and ask questions about the make.
    One fellow went home and brought back his brother to see our truck as they had one on the farm many years ago. 
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    edited July 2014
    Same experience last evening at a Charlotte area cruise-in.  Son John drove the '47 Commodore, I drove the Hornet ragtop.  Good number of folks looking all through the three hour event, and the '47 won the People's Choice award.  That announcement sent a few more folks over to look at it.  Great fun and great opportunity to show what a pre-stepdown Hudson looks like.
  • RL Chilton
    Park, is the '47 still for sale?
  • DavidC
    DavidC Senior Contributor
    Cost of rebuild parts: $1500

Cost of machining: $1000

Building a 308 with your teenage son and hearing it start for the first time: Priceless
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    @Davidc

I hear you!
This discussion has been closed.