Radiator

ratfink
ratfink Member
edited July 2014 in HUDSON
1954 Hudson Hornet..  What radiator is a close match to the fit of the car?  Year , make, model?   Mine is shot and they want 650 to recore it....
Thanks much in advance

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The following link is a How to Do that explains how to replace a Hudson Stepdown 1948-1954 Radiator with an alternative radiator.

http://www.hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/Hudson Stepdown Radiator Replacement_Richie Hodges.pdf.pdf
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    Good friend had Jason put in the dodge unit and he is very pleased with the result. Good way to go....
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    edited July 2014
    The shop here locally in South Texas charges right at $450.  The shop in Indiana (where the convertible radiator is residing currently getting a 4-core radiator with original top and bottom tanks) also is right at $450.  Basically,  it's a brand new (old) radiator except with an extra core.  I actually don't know the name of the shop as my brother is tending to that task for me.  It is the same shop as Wildrick Restoration uses.  I can call and get contact info if you want it, ratfink.  

$650 really is high, from my experience.  If price is a big factor, the Dodge replacement is tough to beat.  Originality always costs more and is worth more.  
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    Has anyone inquired of one of the major vendors of original-type radiators, such as Cool Craft, if they could produce one that would fit the stepdowns?  Seems there'd be enough of a market out there for nicely done original-looking radiator.
  • So I solved my issue with the radiator.  I did a bunch of research.  I found out a 66 Chevelle radiator core and mounting brackets fit.  Minor modifications needed such as; remove the 4 mounting tabs to line up with the Chevelle radiator holes, Mount tabs to radiator, install radiator to the position you want, and then weld brackets to core support.  Plus you will want to weld nuts to the back side of the tabs, so you can bolt and un bolt the radiator at will.  Took me approximately 1 hour.   I will be posting some pics soon. This radiator mod cost about $200 dollars for the radiator.  Hope this helps
  • RL Chilton
    edited July 2014
    Is that a 3-core or a 4-core?  Is the cooling fin area the same sf as a stock radiator?  Is it aluminum or brass?  
  • Its a 3 row aluminum with .75 inch rows.  It is for a big block V8.  the core dimensions are very close to the original hudson.  
  • I will get pics up by tomorrow
  • RL Chilton
    Look forward to the pics!
  • This is the angle iron brackets I made attached to the radiator.  
  • Radiator sitting in the car 
  • Looking down at the bracket to the core support.  More pics to come, I was side tracked by cleaning the engine bay.
  • A couple more pics.  
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Has anyone inquired of one of the major vendors of original-type radiators, such as Cool Craft, if they could produce one that would fit the stepdowns?  Seems there'd be enough of a market out there for nicely done original-looking radiator.

Park, I've sent out specs to several radiator builders including Griffen. I'm waiting on quotes as of right now. I am working on two stepdowns that need re-coring or new radiators.
    Kdancy
  • You may want to talk to Champion or one of the larger vendors on EBay that carries the champion radiator.

They started making radiators for several IH vehicles after many request.

They had a few minor corrections to make but most guys are happy with them and at $150-175 for a bolt in alum radiator, not many can complain. Of course it is out sourced.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=scout+radiator&_sop=15&_osacat=6028&_from=R40&_vxp=mtr&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xscout+radiator+aluminum&_nkw=scout+radiator+aluminum&_sacat=6028
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    I like it. Car looks great and it has power steering too!
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    My son sells aluminum radiators with brackets for Hudson stepdowns. I have one in my 52 Hornet and it has not come close to getting to hot.

This discussion has been closed.