Newbie Introduction

ratfink
ratfink Member
edited July 2014 in HUDSON
Hello, just wanted to introduce myself.  My name is Travis and I live in Tacoma Washington (usa).  I am the proud new owner of a 1954 Hudson Hornet special. Its a power steering car (which Im told is rare).The car is a automatic (belive 4 speed Gear indicator shows N 4 3 LOW R)  Im learning as I go on this car.  When I bought it, it had no seats.  I was able to locate some in Portland Or.  I got them from a pretty awesome guy named Dick Riggs. I have lots to learn (had to ask where the tranny dipstick was).  Right now my main focus is to convert to 12v and get interior done.  I have down loaded the 12v conversion sheet made by Park Waldrop (have a few questions).  If any one can answer a couple questions on the conversion I would be grateful. My questions are about the trans conversion to 12v.  (od relay and kick down switch)  Thanks You... Travis

Comments

• 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator

Welcome aboard! 

Good to have you.  I'm sure you'll find a wealth of information here.

You may also want to visit the Hudson Essex Terraplane Club website, and consider joining that Club - Members come for the cars, and stick around because of the great folks there!

We hope you enjoy your time here at the Hudson Essex Terraplane 'Open Forum' -

• Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Travis, welcome to the Hudson world!
    You have me confused about the transmission. You describe an automatic shift indicator but ask about wiring a standard trans with OD for 12V ?
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Welcome aboard, Travis!  Glad you made it to the forum.  I'm sure the info you gather here will be invaluable.    From the gear shift indicator layout, it seems that you have a Hydra-matic tranny, which is probably the best tranny ever made.  The power steering is a rare item, as it was first available in '54.  Park is on this forum and he is the best source for helping you with the conversion (he was the one that helped me do mine).  
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    welcome! Since you have an automatic, you can ignore the part about OD kickdown switch. Yes, power steering is a rare and desirable option (also valuable....). We really like pictures too.
  • thank you everyone.  Thanks for the input about the OD solenoid and Kick down switch (hydo matic does not have them SWEET).  Less to do for the conversion.  As for pics, I am hesitant to post pics.  I see alot of restored to factory cars. Mine is not factory (at least paint and ride Height).  I wanna turn it in to a 50's 60's traditional hot rod..
     Leaving the inline 6 and trans..I just love this car. I also have a 64 Chevelle but love driving this the most.
  • GrimGreaser
    GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
    That is a nice looking car!  Finish it up and drive the wheels off of it. 
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    ratfink

Good of you to post the picture of your car. There is NOTHING wrong with your car... after all it is YOUR CAR and the fact that you are taking care of it and driving it is GREAT. Old car folks are a pesky bunch... some appreciate all aspects of the hobby, others are out to make everything replicate factory finish and appearance. All are car affectionate. Sometimes we get too concerned about what others think of our "pride and joy". There will always be folks who will praise and those who pick... I let them both know that I appreciate their interest in MY CAR. Thanks for sharing... and good luck driving your HUDSON. For the record... my first Hudson (1963) had a Raccoon tail attached to the radio antenna and I thought it made my car look KOOOL!
  • Here is another pic. The photographer is Roy Varga. He was in our area doing a photo shoot with my car club the Roadmen.
  • When I got the seats this is what I saw.  Only a very small sample.  It was amazing.  All the cars and parts.
  • Hudson Truck..
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    Nice car you have ratfink. . Looks like something my son might do his 54 Hornet Special.

Something to be aware of. Hudson six volt starters do not like 12 volts. The nose cone often brakes off when starter bendix slams into the cone. When you change to 12 volts it would be best to have the starter converted to 12 volt also. There were some discussions about rebuilding starter to 12 volts recently on this forum.

Where is the PU located?

• Pick up is in Portland Oregon. I believe he has two of them there. He had so many cars. One was an Essex boat tail. It was amazing. I will look at getting the starter done. If not buy one of the mopar converted starters.

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Your car looks cool!  Enjoy it!
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    Awesome ride
This discussion has been closed.