Brake Shoes

Val
Val Member
edited July 2014 in HUDSON
I will be replacing the brake shoes on my 39 series 92. Is there some place that most of you go to get these? Or are they available at most any auto parts store?

Comments

• Frankvintagefullflowcom
    Frankvintagefullflowcom Senior Contributor
    My "off the cuff" recommendation is that you take your original shoes to an outfit who will reline them. Make sure they agree under penalty of severe tongue-lashing to return your shoes
  • Frankvintagefullflowcom
    Frankvintagefullflowcom Senior Contributor
    This danged thing..........it dropped the last 2/3 of my post.

I went on to say that any reputable relining outfit will do that without whining. Make sure they know the correct diameter of your brakes as I believe those may be 10-1/16 inch as opposed to 10 inch. Getting that wrong would be disastrous. AND, find someone who will "arc" the shoes to match the drums.
    Just my two-bits worth.

Frank
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Of course you have to take the drums in too, so they can be checked and turned if necessary.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    A good brake shop will firstly skim the drums true if needed and then reline the shoes to suit.  

After a recent stepdown front brake reline I ended up with 2 subtly different size drums (20 thou I think they said) with the shoes and drums carefully marked as to which went with which. Their policy is to remove the minimum amount of metal to true up a drum.

So yes, always give the brake shop the shoes and the drums.
  • Val
    Val Member
    Thanks to all for your suggestions. I will see who I can find locally first then if that is a no dice situation I will send them out.
  • bob ward
    While drum brakes are a thing of the past on todays cars, they are still very much in use in trucks, maybe look for a truck brake shop.
  • bob ward
    Don't know how I did that. Make a post and it slots in above the last post??

This discussion has been closed.