Speedo and clock faces

GrimGreaser
GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
edited July 2014 in HUDSON
Any one refinishing or reproducing the two-piece speedo and clock faces? Any interest in a close reproduction with some custom options?

Comments

• Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Always interested!
  • GrimGreaser
    I have something in the works...
  • Frankvintagefullflowcom
    Frankvintagefullflowcom Senior Contributor
    You are probably 'way ahead of me now but I just looked at timesavers.com and I see that they have convex clock face glass in a gazillion sizes in 1/16 inch increments. Type in item # 14052 to start at 4 inch round. I don't know the thickness or if it is at all compatible with the Hudson faces but I suspect those were something common and not specific to Hudson.
    Frank
  • GrimGreaser
    edited July 2014
    Yup, the plastic faces. I am looking to put a tach into the clock side, figured I would try to share my results with everyone.
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Grim-

Look forward to seeing the results of your endeavor. 
  • Frankvintagefullflowcom
    Frankvintagefullflowcom Senior Contributor
    Oops. He did quite clearly say "faces".
    F
  • GrimGreaser
    edited July 2014
  • Kdancy
    That is really neat!
    I'm interested when you have them ready.
  • RL Chilton
    Are the marbled ones in the photos reproductions or originals?  If orig., are you going to be able to reproduce the '52 marbled look?  Also, are the number plates luminescent?  

Highly impressive!
  • GrimGreaser
    The marbled one is original - destroyed essentially getting the two parts separated. I don't know about marble, but what I have currently can be had in several colors. The 'silver' piece is aluminum filled nylon. Not luminescent, but transfers light very well.
  • GrimGreaser
    edited August 2014
  • GrimGreaser
    Playing around with some custom LED light:
  • Kdancy
    Could you make the hands as well? That way the colores would match.
    very nice work with a much needed part!
  • GrimGreaser
    Yes! Hands are in the works as well.
  • brumac
    brumac Expert Adviser
    Beautiful work!  Any thoughts of doing the 54 Hornet dash?

Bruce
  • GrimGreaser
    Faces are ready to go!  I may add small mounting features to the faces - but right now a little adhesive is all that's needed.  I need to update the hand and it will be ready shortly.  Interested - Go here:  https://www.shapeways.com/shops/grims-miscellanea

Thanks for looking!
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Really nice work...
  • RL Chilton
    That's awesome, GrimGreaser!  
  • GrimGreaser
    Assembled w/ LED lights installed:
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    GrimGreaser,
    My speedo in my 48 only goes from 1 to 100 with 0 indicating a 100 mph at 5 o'clock.  How would one of your speedos work in my car or any other 48 or 49 Stepdown?
  • GrimGreaser
    Well, I can say in all my eBay and used part browsing it never clicked that the early Stepdown speedos were different. All I need is a good picture of the face and I can get a separate set for the early models made up.
  • TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    Not great but what I had handy of my 49.
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    TwinH,
    What are those two gauges on the steering column?  It looks like they are installed in the dash or is that an optical illusion?
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    left is oil pressure and the right one is vacuum, but must be almost flush with the dash?
  • RL Chilton
    Aren't the early faces also a lighter brown in color?  
  • TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    TwinH,
    What are those two gauges on the steering column?  It looks like they are installed in the dash or is that an optical illusion?

Cup mounted oil pressure and voltmeter gauges are mounted on the column. Seen here with Johnny Cash's brother Tommy ( a 49 Cadillac owner) trying the Hudson on for size.
  • DavidC
    DavidC Senior Contributor
    Definitely a key piece to repro!. Thank you very much. Already spent a fortune getting decent faces, so won't need yours for a while, but will put it on my list.
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    TwinH,
    Oil pressure and voltage are the gauges I want to put on my car.  Is there a special holder that is designed to put them on the column or was that something that you invented?  All the units (and their holders) I see at the parts stores have three gauges and I don't want the temperature gauge.  
  • TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    JasonNC, I will start another thread showing the gauge mounts on the column. I shouldn't have swerved Grims thread off track and apologize for doing so. These gauge faces look fantastic!
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    JasonNC, I will start another thread showing the gauge mounts on the column. I shouldn't have swerved Grims thread off track and apologize for doing so. These gauge faces look fantastic!
    You didn't get it off track, I did.  My apologies to GrimGreaser....
This discussion has been closed.