WHAT A DEAL

TOM-WA-
TOM-WA- Senior Contributor
edited July 2014 in Vehicles
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Other-Makes-Other-Phil-Herman-Collection-53-hudson-hornet-nascar-6-cyl-automatic-/171374797214?forcerrptr=true&hash=item27e6bbe19e&item=171374797214&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

AND FOR ONLY $32,500 YOU ALSO GET :  The
car has several non life threatening concerns that must be addressed
before this treasure is roadworthy.  This Hudson runs but we've only
been able to drive it around our parking lot since the brakes are so
poor.

It also includes a snazzy floor shifter and they removed one of the carbs (probably to make it lighter)

BARTENDER I'LL HAVE WHAT EVER THAT GUY IS DRINKING...LOL

Comments

• Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    This looks like a very nice car. I noticed that it also has electric wipers. Good choice. But, in my never to be humble opinion the price is about double of what is a fair market price. If you had this car for sale, why not do a tune-up, fix the brakes and then put a fair price on it.....??
  • oldhudsons
    oldhudsons Senior Contributor
    strikes me as odd what some people do to cars - put on a nice paint & uph. job then change trans. putting obviously "bogus" large ugly floor shift in it!?!?!?
    Would appear to me head gasket is leaking. Also weird remark that a carb. was removed to make it lighter???? I assume there is a replacement 4-throat carb. under that monstrous inappropriate air cleaner.
    Has dual exhausts but 7X or equivalent exh. manifold???
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    strikes me as odd what some people do to cars - put on a nice paint & uph. job then change trans. putting obviously "bogus" large ugly floor shift in it!?!?!?
    Would appear to me head gasket is leaking. Also weird remark that a carb. was removed to make it lighter???? I assume there is a replacement 4-throat carb. under that monstrous inappropriate air cleaner.
    Has dual exhausts but 7X or equivalent exh. manifold???
    Ad says " more reliable 2 bbl carb"
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Ad says " more reliable 2 bbl carb"

I suppose it's the Cadillac air cleaner that makes it more reliable . . .
    :-))
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited July 2014

From what's in the description, I would say $10-13K, on a good day.  Fix the issues/problems, $16-20K...

They made a BIG mistake swapping-out the 'Twin H' and air cleaners - at least $3-4K in the price of the car, if it had the original set-up (even if it was 'in the trunk').  Just a guess on that, but probably had issues synchronizing the carbs (local mechanic), who talked the owner into changing it over...

• RL Chilton
    edited July 2014
    "They made a BIG mistake swapping-out the 'Twin H' and air cleaners - at least $3-4K in the price of the car, if it had the original set-up (even if it was 'in the trunk').  Just a guess on that, but probably had issues synchronizing the carbs (local mechanic), who talked the owner into changing it over..."

That's probably EXACTLY right, Rick.  

The only thing I disagree with y'all on is that 2DR's are currently worth in the 30K range for a good example.  You can't think this is 1990, anymore.  IF those funky changes had not been made, i.e., the tranny (especially the floor shift), the deletion of the Twin-H, ugly radiator, butchering of the trunk medallion, etc., it certainly would have been worth more than before the changes, and 30K or so is not out of the realm of the current standard.  

It still amazes me that in this day and age that people can throw on an Earl Scheib special and a new interior (actually, a nice one) and think that they can get top dollar.  They probably will, in the end.  However, 32.5K is not "Priced to Sell".  Fortunately, all of the ill-conceived ideas are reversible.  This car was probably a very good candidate for a restoration before the "caulk and paint".  
  • The problem is all the idiots trying to reinvent the wheel.  That was a california car and probably a 100% solid car for restoration purposes.  The idiot didn't even bother to save the twin-h setup.  (I asked:  "was the twin-h set up saved and is it available".... Very short terse answer: "No and No")
    This  kind of stuff gives me a raw red rash........ I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm also sick of these wheler dealers "marketing" these cars "for a PROMINENT collector.  A "prominent" collector would have never sullied a good Hornet coupe. 
    GAG GAG GAG
  • TOM-WA-
    The
    only thing I disagree with y'all on is that 2DR's are currently worth
    in the 30K range for a good example.  You can't think this is 1990,
    anymore.  IF those funky changes
    had not been made, i.e., the tranny (especially the floor shift), the
    deletion of the Twin-H, ugly radiator, butchering of the trunk
    medallion, etc., it certainly would have been worth more than before the
    changes, and 30K or so is not out of the realm of the current standard. 

If indeed 30K for a Hudson is the current standard I fear that the membership of the Hudson Club will continue to dwindle. 
    Younger people are not going to pay that kind of money for a car that they have never been exposed to especially when they can pick up a servicable RICE BURNER for much much less.

At that cost for a Hudson eventually the only ones that will be able to collect or restore will be some well heeled elder statesmen who buy these vehicles to store in a private collection that is even more removed from the general public..

Sad state of affairs, but perhaps INEVATABLE (SP)?
  • RL Chilton
    Of course it's inevitable!!  Been to a Packard Meet lately?  They are all dying out with every passing day.  I'm sure for the rest of my life, Hudson products will do fine, but for my boy's lives, I'm not so sure. 

I had the rare privilege of driving a Pungs-Finch when I was a teenager.  Even all those decades ago, there was exactly one example left known to man (I understand that since then, part of another example has been unearthed).  I'm sure the PF lovers of the world were up in arms back then with the virtual loss of yet another marque.  Eventually, they will all be gone, some faster than others.  

• RL Chilton
    Also have to remember that in that 7k-15K range, you can get a real nice Chevy or Ford.

All Day Long.  As many as you want.  You could make an auto salad with 'em.  

If you want one of the finest automobiles that ever came out of Detroit, it's bound to cost more than the common lot.  Even if for no other reason than the rarity alone. 
  • TOM-WA-
    YEP......

I JUST PURCHASED THIS CHEVY FOR 8K

1985 CORVETTE ALL ORIGINAL 50,000 MILES

IT WAS ON MY BUCKET LIST.....LOL
  • TOM-WA-

BEST KEPT MUSCLE CAR SECRET AROUND....

FANTASTIC CARS.....AMAZING HANDLING AND PERFORMANCE  AND A COMPLETE THRILL
    TO DRIVE.....
  • RL Chilton
    Congratulations!  Nice car, nice driveway!
  • Continue to dwindle?  Dwindle from what? From a Hudson site that shows Corvettes?   The young people?  What about them? They either have the HUDSON chromosome or they don't.  You can't artificially inject it. You think a person ought to sell a Hudson for half its value so that some "young person" can buy it?  Most young people couldn't afford an $8 thousand dollar hobby car of any sort, let alone what a really GOOD Hornet coupe is worth.  That's just the way things have evolved.  It's impossible to make any headway with people who consider a '65 Mustang or '68 Firebird to be an old car.  Old guys better enjoy these cars now and forget trying to make them into something they were never intended to be.  We need gas tanks, we need rubber parts that fit, We need motor mounts made to the correct specs and not some hard pan crap that just happens to almost fit.
  • TOM-WA-
    WOW.....KINDA HARSH

Who said anything about selling a Hudson for half or what it's worth. I was trying to point out that some people have an inflated and un-realistic idea of what a REALLY GOOD Hornet coupe is worth and in particular what the specific car in the E bay add might fetch.

As far as my Corvette I posted it in response to the comment concerning the cost of some FORDS or Chevys in todays market.

Perhaps if you took the opportunity to talk to some of the younger crowd at a car show and educate them regarding Hudsons you would be suprised how open minded many of them can be..I love Hudsons, but I also love many other makes from various eras....

As owners of Hudsons we should strive to be less opinionated and eliteast.
  • First of all, the younger set would have to get their heads out of their computer games long enough to pay attention.... and that's not going to happen.  Second thing is..... sure, I'm opinionated.... I choose Hudson because I grew up in them.  It's the best car for the money of any car ever built.  If that's considered elite, then so be it.
    Personally, I think the "prominent collector" of the ebay car butchered it. And that's a shame.
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited July 2014

Time to pull out the soap box...

Actually gentlemen, there are those in the 'younger set' that are joining the Hudson ranks.

There are those that have the 'old car bug', that like working-on older relics and getting them back on the road (regardless if it is a full-blown restoration, a driver, or some semblance of a 'rod'). 

Many are 'on the fence', and show an interest - and just need something to 'spark' that interest, and guide them along the path.  That's where our current Hudson, Essex and Terraplane owners come into play.  These type of forums (AACA, HAMB, HET Club Forum, etc.) play their part, providing substance to cultivate that interest.  One of the 'major players' in this is actually seeing these vehicles on the road, at car shows and events, etc.. 

It doesn't need to be 'intentional', organized, etc..  The best  venues are sometimes the most common, everyday events - going to the store, stopping by the auto-parts store, going on a picnic, or just out for an evening or weekend drive...

Lot more to say - but am just on a soap box, not 'preaching'...

• TOM-WA-
    THE BEST 10 CARS "EVER MADE FOR THE MONEY" INCLUDE AT NUMBER 1 THE VOLKSWAGEN
    BEETLE AND IF YOU WANT TO TALK AMERICAN CARS AT NUMBER 9 ARE THE ORIGINAL FORD MUSTANGS....

• TOM-WA-
    RICK:

I agree with your post:

Actually gentlemen, there are those in the 'younger set' that are joining the Hudson ranks.

There
    are those that have the 'old car bug', that like working-on older
    relics and getting them back on the road (regardless if it is a
    full-blown restoration, a driver, or some semblance of a 'rod'). 

Many are
    'on the fence', and show an interest - and just need something to
    'spark' that interest, and guide them along the path.  That's where our
    current Hudson, Essex and Terraplane owners come into play.  These type
    of forums (AACA, HAMB, HET Club Forum, etc.) play their part, providing
    substance to cultivate that interest.  One of the 'major players' in
    this is actually seeing these vehicles on the road, at car shows and
    events, etc.. 

The problem is that it is getting more and more infrequent that you actually see a Hudson on the road or out in the public anymore: As our membership grows older there are fewer and fewer members who venture forth in their cars and if and when they do it is primarily for a HET meeting or get together that dosen't cater to general public..Dificult to expose a younger generation to the wonderfull Hudson when it is in the garage.

• TOM-WA-
    I have an idea..why not get a group of Hudson HET members together with your cars and pick a weekend day to visit a local park that is well attended by alot of familys.

Park the cars in the parking lot and set them out for display. Open the hoods and the doors and perhaps set up a table of hudson literature and even some items like key fobs and hats and coffee cups that could be offered for sale to those who might want to purchase a small token.

Leave your lawn chairs at home and make yourselves available to answer questions...I find that the small children love Doc Hudson and although the 30 and  40 year old fathers don't get too excited at first the mothers tend to be fascinated by the  classic lines and style of the cars.

What the heck if nothing else it would make for a nice afternoon in the park and who knows might even get a convert or two interested.

I strongly feel that the requirement that to become a local chapter member one must also join the national club should be revised...If a person does not own a HUDSON, but would like to participate in some local events and recieve a news letter what better way to spread the word than encourage LOCAL PARTICIPATION.
  • 48Sed
    48Sed Senior Contributor
    I get my Hudson out to local events all the time and you are correct people love to stop by and look and ask questions.
    Many did not know Hudson made a truck but a few old farmers sure knew and seeing the smile on their faces was great.
    I like hearing the stories from past owners of how well these vehicles were built how they were a step above the rest.
    I say get them out and drive them,does them good also.
  • allan
    allan Member

I think most are missing the obvious here.  For this car to be worth this money - and a 2 door Hornet could be - it should have had the door jambs, the door insides, the fit of the door panel bottoms, the detailing under the hood, the paint in the lower part of the hood ornament, ect, ect, ect tended to.  This car has had none of those items brought up to par.  Not to mention the incorrect radio, no replating of the dash components and on and on and on.  This car is worth 1/2 the asking price.  Just my humble opinion.

Allan

• AdamB
    AdamB Member
    edited July 2014
    Nobody seems to know what to do about it, but let it continue to develop.
    You've got that right!  I've heard this same discussion many times in my other clubs.  Lots of the older generations have loved me being a part of the group over the last 20 years.  But I'm now 38, and my kid's generation will be so far removed, I sometimes wonder why we work so hard at preserving cars they probably won't care about (or are being taught are evil in a modern earth-friendly world where business and oil are the devil).  Heck, I've got friends with Rolls Royces and original Shelby Mustangs that their kids and grand kids don't care about!  God help us...

My biggest problem is that I was born with "it", and I don't know how to teach it.  Most guys my age are buying 1990's cars, like a Mustang GT, because that was what we grew up with.  Me?  I just bought a '28 Hudson.  Why?  Well, why not?  They've got fascinating history and engineering and are beautiful to look at.  My parents don't even remember these cars though.  So sure I love going to cruise-ins and letting kids climb in my car, but do I think it will help reverse the problem?  Not really.  But if you ever find a solution, you'll be doing the car hobby a great service!

• Adam , you hit the nail square on the head.  You were born with "it", whatever "it" is..... I call it the Hudson Chromosome....... it can't be taught.  It's either there or it isn't there.
    Great, let kids see the cars. They'll remember for ten minutes maybe.... or they'll leave thinking that all step down hudson era cars are  Doc Hudson clones.  They won't know a thing about cross country endurance, or Pikes Peak, or Howard Coffin, or Roy Chapin, or Marshall Teague, or Herb Thomas................or Bernie Siegfied or Gus Souza or ..............................................
  • TOM-WA-
    Adam , you hit the nail square on the head.  You were born with "it",
    whatever "it" is..... I call it the Hudson Chromosome....... it can't be
    taught.  It's either there or it isn't there.
    Great, let kids see
    the cars. They'll remember for ten minutes maybe.... or they'll leave
    thinking that all step down hudson era cars are  Doc Hudson clones. 
    They won't know a thing about cross country endurance, or Pikes Peak, or
    Howard Coffin, or Roy Chapin, or Marshall Teague, or Herb
    Thomas................or Bernie Siegfied or Gus Souza or

As long as that attitude is your mindset and if it is or becomes the thinking of the majority of Hudson Owners then indeed the cars and the Club will remain for only a few more short years till we have all passed.

Keep your car in the garage, associate ONLY with members of the HET, avoid any attempt to converse or educate those who were not "BORN WITH IT" and surely as you will eventually pass on so will these wonderful cars and their fantastic legacy...

• Browniepetersen
    If I were to make a list of what I like about old cars in general and Hudson's in particular the listing would take for ever to read. Right at the top of that list (after building or driving) would be the people. It is true that we are a family group. The problem is that where I come from we like big families (another story for another day). Our little chapter does not have a lot of members and I like to drive my cars. I try to drive one or more each day. You can find me most mornings talking to older folks at McDonalds or perhaps at the local food stores. This does not fill my social desires so I take my cars to local functions and some of the smaller car shows (Never could get into paying entrance fees where other folks make money on my cars.) These functions are a great place to talk about Hudson's. My opening line is most often (We need to get you into a Hudson just like this one.) I will make this comment a couple of dozen times a night. Most often, I have given away my WTN within a week after I get it. I get a ton of questions and I love answering every one of them. I do not ascribe to that "Born with a Hudson gene." I build Hudson's because they are better than any other car I have build. I talk about Hudson's because I want other folks to have the fun that I am having. And, I am always looking for new family members.....
  • TOM-WA-
    AMEN BROWNIE AMEN..
  • oldhudsons
    oldhudsons Senior Contributor
    guess I'll chime in my "two bits".
    For approx. 10 years I lived in Escondido, Calif. which throughout the summer has a city sponsored Cruise Night taking up blocks of the old downtown bus. area every Fri. night. Hundreds of cars come, many as from as far away as L. A. (100 miles) & thousands walk the streets.
    One of my Escondido HET pals has this '33 T8 conv. which he frequently drives to the Cruise Night. Most of these car people have never seen, some never even heard of these most handsome Hudson products as he is asked endless questions about it (he also has a '20 H tr. limo, a '34 Railton, and a '50 C8 cp. so knows a LOT about Hudsons). These car shows have garnered new members & new Hudson owners (I sold a '53 HH due to taking it there). So one way to spread the word is to take your cars to shows & events other than just Hudson club meetings.
    Psychologically, I don't like to have something that everyone else has, it's just "me". I've never had a "collectible" Ford or Chevy and I never will. To paraphrase Reagan speaking of redwoods " seen one ya seen 'em all"; Fords & Chevys et al made by the millions, they have no personality ergo BORING. I like the individuality of the cars & models Hudson built.
    When my 1st wife & I joined HET in '62 we bought a '53 Hornet cp. off a used car lot in L.A. When I got a Roster saw there was another member near us. Going to visit him changed my life forever as in lieu of that bought my 1st antique Hudson, a '29 cp. & we were "off and running", going to Nationals, buying more Hudsons, etc. so seeing the unusual Hudson product, talking to owners, etc. becomes, or can become, a life-long learning process. I don't regret a minute or a dollar of it altho had a lot of friends & family who thought I/we were nuts, LOL.
  • Browniepetersen
    Tom, you did not mention Ike Smith in your listing.... I have a car that he built and prep' ed for racing.
This discussion has been closed.