Looking for aluminum timing + crank gear to put on my '37 engine.

Splitwindow
Splitwindow Member
edited July 2014 in Parts & Pieces
Looking for and aluminum cam gear and later crank gear with correct tooth pitch to retro fit into my '37 engine. The parts are '46 and later, correct me if i'm wrong...

Comments

• Huddy42
    Huddy42 Senior Contributor

I am totally amazed that no one in the USA has bothered to get these gears made, there must be plenty of Hudson folk who would buy them.

My father who was a Hudson /Terraplane parts dealer here in Australia,  many years ago had a quantity of both gears made, unfortunately today all gone.Would not be such a big deal to get some company to produce them, sure would be a saleable item, if I was a lot younger I would certainly look into it.  I have a  set of these gears we made in my 1942 Hudson and have been there for 25 years witrh no problem.

• PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    I HAVE HAD 6 OR 7 SETS IN THE LAST YEAR AND HAVE SOLD ALL OF THEM AND TIME I SEE A 8 CYL THATS NOT GOING TO BE USED I TAKE THE PAIR OF GEARS AND GET THEM IN TO THE HANDS OF SOME ONE WHO'S LOOKING TO DRIVE THERE CAR PUTING IN A FIBER GEAR ISN'T THE WAY TO GO YEARS AGO TERRAPLANE KELLY TOLD A BUNCH OF HUDSON NUTS AT A NATIONAL MEET TEC SESSION THAT THE FIBER GEARS ONLY HAD A 30 YEAR SHELD LIFE WELL THAT MEANS ALL OF THE FIBER ONES ARE JUNK  BUT IF YOU HAQVE TO INSTALL ONE TO KEEP YOUR CAR RUNNING YOU HAVE TO DO IT 
    WHEN REPLACING THE CAM GEARS YOU MUST MAKE SURE THAT THE CAM SPACER IS BEHIND THE CAM CHEEK.
     BETWEEN THE CAM AND THE FRONT OF THE BLOCK MOST FIBER GEARS THAT FAIL WHAT HAS HAPEND IS THE CAM SPACE HAS BROKEN OR WORN OUT AND IS NOT THERE WHAT THAT DOES IS LET THE CAM MOVE BACK AND JAMS THE OIL PUMP GEAR IN THE THE CAM GEAR JAMING THEM UP AND THAT IS WHAT CAUSES THE FIBER GEAR TO BREAK 

AS FOR MAKING NEW ALUMINUM GEARS IT'S A GREAT IDEA IF YOU MAKE THEM THE RIGHT PITCH YOU COULD USE THE CRANK 6 CLY GEARS ONE IS A 16 PITCH ONE IS A 20 PITCH I WOULD HAVE TO LOOK AT MY NOTES TO BE SURE WHAT IS WHAT 
  • I figured it would be a long search... thats why i'm starting now!
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    The technicalities of why pressure angle is important. Basically, pressure angle changes gear tooth shape.

As most know, early engines used timing gears with a 14.5° pressure angle and the later ones a 20° pressure angle. Both sets of gears look pretty much the same, same size and same number of teeth. If you mix and match they will mesh and they will work in an engine - for a while at least.

Pressure angle is important in gear making for many reasons, but one thing it does is change the shape of the gear teeth. Its a fairly subtle shape difference between 14.5° and 20° but when you expect the gears to rotate against each other a few million times, that difference become important.

When gears mesh, the surfaces of the teeth are designed to roll against each other, there is no sliding motion tooth on tooth, just a rolling action. That is why timing gears and gears in general last as long as they do - unless you mismatch pressure angles.

Some pressure angle history. 
    Nearly all gears around the world were made with a 14.5° pressure angle up until the middle years of the 20th century, then from the 40s to 70s there was a move to 20° pressure angles, the main reason being that a 20° tooth has a thicker root, it is a stronger tooth.

So why did an oddball number like 14.5° become the defacto standard for pressure angle in the first place? Its largely to do with the calculations involved in designing and drawing the gears in the drawing office. 

There is a lot of trigonometry and calculation involved in designing gear teeth. Since the sine of 14.5° is near as dammit .25, a simple number to work with in a time when calculations were still done with pencil and paper, 14.5° became the pressure angle of choice.

• maasfhcenturylinknet
    maasfhcenturylinknet Senior Contributor
    Have the alum cam gear if your interested.
    Randy  309-267-6158

• HI Randy,

E-mail me at lahti35@yahoo.com with your price and location, I am interested.

Thanks for the reply to my ad!

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    edited July 2014
    One fiber gear on ebay now:  $ 50 pls ~ $12 shpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1937-40-Hudson-6-And-8-Cylinder-Timing-Gear-3202-/261498666044?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ce288fc3c&vxp=mtr
    That's a fiber gear. I have them for $15 , see my ad here
  • terraplane8
    terraplane8 Senior Contributor
    Well it seems this is a guaranteed success if someone takes up the challenge to remanufacture these gears.
  • maasfhcenturylinknet
    Splitwindow-price is $75

Randy Maas
    P.O. Box 589
    Manito, Ill. 61546

Couldn't get your email to work for me
  • Randy,

Do you have an extra set? I need both gears also.

Thanks,

Mike

• Thanks Randy - i'll take it, Is that with shipping or without. I'm in MIchigan.
  • PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    edited July 2014
    I TOOK MY SPAIR DOWN TO A LOCAL SHOP THERE GOING TO GIVE ME A PRICE NEXT WEEK ON MAKING NEW ALUM. GEARS I'LL KEEP EVERY ONE POSTED
  • jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    Yeah Paul!!

Jeff
  • maasfhcenturylinknet
    Splitwindow.  Thats without shipping.  Shipping would be $15.00. for a total of $90.00 Thanks you.

• Thanks Paul, please keep me posted.

Mike

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Because the later 20 deg. gears need the matching crank gear, would it make sense to get alloy gears made to the earlier design as well?
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    I'm sure there would also be a market for narrow and wide 14.5° gears.
  • Thanks Randy, i'll get payment out asap.
This discussion has been closed.