Jet Radiator

[Deleted User]
edited July 2014 in HUDSON
Just wondering if there are options for a new radiator for my daughter's 54 Jet.

We took the car on its inaugural trip today and it overheated. I put on a new thermostat, but it may be bad.

The radiator does have some damaged fins.

Any advice for a replacement?

Thanks!
Mike

Comments

• GrimGreaser
    GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
    Check Summit, Speedway and the like for a universal radiator to fit. Speedway has a selection of aluminum radiators in various dimensions for reasonable prices. Of course you'll have to work out mounting then.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Just wondering if there are options for a new radiator for my daughter's 54 Jet.

We took the car on its inaugural trip today and it overheated. I put on a new thermostat, but it may be bad.

The radiator does have some damaged fins.

Any advice for a replacement?

Thanks!
    Mike
    I have followed you previous posts and if I may, I would suggest that before you make the financial commitment to another radiator, make a commitment to cleaning the whole cooling system.  

The radiator, engine block and the heater core are all subjected to corrosive actions.  The by products of these chemical activities are usually captured within the three major parts of the cooling system. Please take the time to do some INTERNET sleuthing to ID home mechanics methods you can be use to flush some of this debris from your car's cooling system.  Then if this does not work... isolate the problem ... engine blockage, poor function from water pump, slipping fan belt, clogged radiator/engine cooling passages.  

Neglecting these maintenance actions will lead to replacement of parts that will do NOTHING to correct the overheating  problem.  A simple fix that can cause overheating is the radiator pressure cap, not the right pressure or failed gaskets.   

Good Luck
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    As mentioned radiator, engine and heater core. Flush each separately using a garden hose with a high pressure nozzle. Disconnect the radiator hose from radiator. Don't remove radiator cap. Wrap rag around nozzle so it is a snug fit into radiator inlet. Turn on facet full blast until clear water come out radiator outlet.. Then reverse flush radiator by putting nozzle into radiator outlet until clean water exits radiators intake. Go through the procedure again until clean water come out in both directions. May take 2 or 3 cycles to get clean water exiting in both directions. Depend how dirty it is.

Same procedure to flush engine. Except remove thermostat before doing this and disconnect hoses from heater core and plug them so no water can escape engine from heater core hoses. . A cold thermostat will not allow water to go through engine. May also require several cycles to get clean water coming out of both inlet and outlet A lot of sludge can build up inside an engine.

Again same procedure to flush heater core. The heater core can trap a great amount of sludge. I had to flush and back flush mine a dozen times on a old car I bought before clean water would come out both inlet and outlet. I was very surprised by how many times I had to do this before no more rusty slug came out... The heater core is often neglected when the radiator and engine are flushed. I suppose it somehow is not thought to be necessary. A clean heater core will help warm the cars interior better in the winter. Also, it can help an engine run cooler in the summer time by tuning it on as well as turning on the heater fan if the engine is running a little hotter than you like. Of course you may have to suffer a little discomfort from extra heat inside car like we did one very hot summer driving through the Mohave Desert to help circulate a little more water through the hot engine to help engine run a little cooler. .. No AC, all windows down. Hottest drive I've ever been on. That was a 1964 El Camino I once had. The engine was running at 250. The heater core helped lower the temp about 5 degrees.

Good luck. I hope you have no serious problems.

Lee O'Dell
  • So I've removed the radiator and discovered it's also used on a '67 Mustang.  There's a sticker on the side with part number 8010340.  I'm thinking about replacing the radiator anyway, because there's a lot damage to the fins.  The water was brown coming out of it (and the engine).

If I replace the radiator, do I still need the 7 lb. radiator cap?

Also, what about a replacement water pump?  Hudsonjet.net shows a Napa Part Number that isn't pulling up on the Napa web site.

Thanks for the help!!
  • Joe30Essex
    Joe30Essex Expert Adviser
    edited July 2014
    Get your water pump form Dale Cooper. He has the correct pump, gasket and helpful directions. The one I got from him (fast shipping!) three years ago works like a charm--best advice, don't overtighten the fan belt!!
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    Joe gave good advice not to over tighten the fan belt.

In 69 I bought a new car within 3 mo. the water pump needed to be replaced under warrantee. When the dealer returned the car after replacement I checked the belt adjustment and it was tight as a banjo string. I believe that to be the cause for replacing the water pump in the first place. I readjusted the belt only tight enough to stop belt from squeaking. By most peoples standard that would be considered too loose. When I sold the car twenty years later with 115,000 miles it still had that water pump. I have followed that rule and have not had to replace a water pump since.

Lee O'Dell
  • Thanks for the advice. I replaced it with a similar radiator (for a '67 V8 Mustang). This one has 3 rows compared to the 2 rows, which I'm told will keep the engine cooler.

Now I'm looking for a radiator cap.  I'm guessing I need to get a 7 psi cap as required on Hudsonjet.net

Am I right? The parts guy is trying to sell me a 13 psi cap.

- Mike -
  • J Spencer
    J Spencer Expert Adviser
    mbsxk8, the radiator cap # is R28 by Stant. Most Auto Parts store can cross referance it to another brand by going on the computer or in a manufactures catalog. Or they might walk over to the shelf and look at the labels.  The problem is now days is that the man behind the counter knows nothing if it is not listed under your vehicle.  Hudson of the day ran 7lb caps, the mustang used a 14-15lb cap.

Jim Spencer
    Western NY chapter
This discussion has been closed.