1937 Hudson Coupe

[Deleted User]
edited June 2014 in HUDSON

I was suggested to come here to share this car from the HAMB. We purchased this car from an estate sale from an owner who died in a sudden accident. He was a collector and I am guessing he purchased this car from an original owner. It has been a Massachusetts car it's entire life, the best we can tell. There is an Oil Change log in the door from a Mobil Station in Ayer, Mass from the early 1960's. There is also a Mass registration sticker on the windshield from the 70's. I am guessing this is the last time the car saw the road as it is in very original condition/original paint, etc.

It has the pull out bed in the trunk that is in the pristine condition. We did get it running but it needs some fine tuning to make it road worthy. The clutch also needs work. It was used and abused as it is dented pretty heavily. All 4 fenders are beaten in, there is a dent on the roof and the grill is pushed in. Our theory is the car was crashed in the woods and then parked. There is no rot on this car anywhere, the floors are solid, everything is solid. Only problem is the dents!. Currently headlights do not work.

We don't really have a plan for it at this point. We'd like to get it driving and see how we like it. We have a Model A coupe and a 1950 Plymouth (restored that we did together) and something is going to have to be sold if we want to keep this Hudson.

I am being told that it is rather rare, especially with the utility trunk in such nice shape.

If anyone in the Ayer, Mass area knows of this cars history please let me know. Would also like to know if the registration sticker numbers could be tracked?

for pictures go to this link and scroll down on first page. I cant seem to get them uploaded here.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1937-hudson-coupe-find.929999/

Comments

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited June 2014
    FYI
    Nice Car.. If decide to keep it just about everything you need for the Terraplane is available thru sources in the National Hudson Essex Terraplane Club. www.hudsonessexterraplaneclub.org

Engine Parts (Fuel Pump) are available from Dale Cooper 513 821 6200 hudsonmotorxarco.com, as well as others....
  • thank you!
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    There is an oft quoted saying on here (which I may misquote of course) "Make 'em run , make 'em stop and then make 'em purty"

That is a nice looking car you have and I'd go for the "make 'em run etc." option

Also as Ol Racer says the club is a font of knowledge ; there will be someone somewhere who knows where to get what you need or what you need to do to replace it.

The "official" web site is at www.hetclub.org ; it makes sense to register but you don't need to join the club.

However I suggest that if you can then do ; the WTN is a very classy magazine. I miss mine every month!
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    A great number of Hudson club members have the '37's, and several of those cars have the slide-out pickup bed, so you should not have a lot of trouble getting technical and restoration information.

My advice would be (as Paul's, above) just to get it running and drive it around, dents and all.  To see how you like it and "how much you can live with".  I've been driving my Terraplane for 40 years now and it's been pretty dependable.  I have made some very minor modifications so I can drive on the highway (like transplanting a later model Hudson overdrive transmission so I can cruise at 60) but essentially the car is "stock".  Some folks transplant a later rearend with more favorable highway gears, to attain higher speeds.  The engine has plenty of power but it really doesn't like to run at high RPM's.

You didn't mention where you live so I'll guess it's somewhere around Massachusetts.  There is a good active chapter of the Hudson club up there, and chances are that someone there may know the history of your car.  You might want to show up at one of their meets this summer.

• hdsn49
    hdsn49 Senior Contributor
    Here is a link to the New England Chapter of the HET. I have been a member for almost 38 years. It is a great bunch of people. You should join the National and the New England Chapter of the HET. 

I look forward to meeting you at a New England Chapter event in the future. You can come without your car. 

Ed Firestone

• StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    Its nice to see the original Model 70 utility series hood ornament still in place rather than the "carrot" of the upscale passenger cars.
  • Your car isn't a Hudson. It's a Terraplane......built by Hudson of course
  • technically it's a Hudson Terraplane. Don't really understand the difference when the engine, hubcaps, etc are marked "Hudson Terraplane". Either way its a Hudson vehicle.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Be careful.  Hudsons and Terraplanes were similar looking in '37 but there were differences.  You don't want to go ordering some part, only to discover later that it doesn't fit your car!
  • it says Hudson Terraplane on the grill and hubcaps so I'm pretty sure its the terraplane version.
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    You probably have a Model 70 or 71 (serial number will tell you).  There is an online Hudson library available, in addition to a virtual library, that can help you with reading material.  The online library has a shop manual (1934-1937) and a 1937 group parts book, along with a lot of other literature.
    The online library is here: http://hetclub.org/burr/lithomepage.htm

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • Serial Number is 702686
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    If you look here (http://hetclub.org/burr/referencesheets/1937_hudson_terraplane_service_info_adjustments.pdf) it tells you that that model number relates to the Terraplane Commercial model with a 117" wheelbase. In that year you also had the Terraplane Deluxe and the Terraplane Super.

Also in that year you had the Hudson 6 and various Hudson 8 models
  • thank you Paul
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Yup, you have a model 70 (first two digits of your serial number).  That's the base Terraplane model, used for "commercial cars" like pickup trucks and your utility coupe.  The bodies were all the same but the 71 and 72 had progressively more "doodads" on them.  You could of course add doodads from the other models for improved looks / performance, though you may want your car to remain authentic.  (That special hood ornament is unique to the model 70; the 71 and 72 had a plastic carrot.)  All Terraplanes had the same engine but the 72 had a different intake manifold and a dual throat carb and got about 5HP more than the others.  Also that carb had an automatic choke; yours would have a manual choke.   
  • thank you for the help all,. We will be looking for parts to make it driveable again (brakes, etc). If you have any sources feel free to message me. thanks!
  • I saw that over on the HAMB and commented on your posting, glad you made it over here... lots of nice folks in these parts!
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    edited July 2014
    If you can't find a temperature gauge on the instrument panel don't worry about it - nobody stole it.  I know the Model 61 Terraplanes in 1936 didn't have one - I'm not so sure about the Model 70, 71's.

Should have looked before I posted.  1937 parts book says all models have a temperature gauge.  My error - sorry 'bout that.

Hudsonly,
    Alex B
  • StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    You don't call it a Chrysler Plymouth.  You don't call it a Ford Lincoln.  You don't call it a General Motors Pontiac.   And you don't call it a Hudson Terraplane in 1937.    It was a second production car from the parent company called Hudson Motor Car Co.  A seperate make of car.  It is a TERRAPLANE.

Your hubcaps say Terraplane Hudson if they are '37 originals, they do not say Hudson Terraplane which those on the '38 models do.
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    Try this thought: If you have a cute redhead. Cute would define the appeal of a person that is a redhead. I have thought of it much the same when I hear Hudson Terraplane. Hudson defines the owner of the brand and Terraplane is the brand that is displayed. Just one of my thoughts?
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    What is with this Forum? I posted my thought after Arkie had posted his and yet, it shows up before his post. Why is it doing this?
  • cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser

Brownie - it's the up/down rating thing.  Posts seem to be sorted first by rating and then by date.

I was going to comment on this on the 'Great Race' thread because the same thing made it confusing to follow until I figured it out.

Personally, I'd get rid of the rating thing - don't really see any value and seems to be causing some contention.

• 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited July 2014

What is with this Forum? I posted my thought after Arkie had posted his and yet, it shows up before his post. Why is it doing this?

Each member controls 'how' they see the posts, either by 'votes' or 'date added'.  Look at the bottom of the first post, and you will see  "Sorted by:  Votes  |  Date Added" .  Click on the one you want to have it sorted-by, and that should do it. 

I prefer to see it by 'Date Added' myself...

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser

Each member controls 'how' they see the posts, either by 'votes' or 'date added'.  Look at the bottom of the first post, and you will see  "Sorted by:  Votes  |  Date Added" .  Click on the one you want to have it sorted-by, and that should do it. 

I prefer to see it by 'Date Added' myself...

Why is this necessary to this forum? I'm on many other forums , none use this.

I see no purpose other than to cause dissension.

This discussion has been closed.