Rewiring the 35 Terraplane

35 Terraplane
35 Terraplane Senior Contributor
edited June 2014 in HUDSON
Hello All,
I'm starting on rewiring my 35 Terraplane and have a question.  Should there be a support bracket or the like for the wire between the generator and the cutout relay?  If yes could someone post a picture of it/
Thanks
Tom

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Not exactly sure on  the Terraplane, but on  the Jet motor there is a small fold-over wire support under a head bolt.
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    I have seen the cable run along and attached to the water jacket, and also have seen from the genny to the and along the fender for a neater look. Usually a small sheet metal fold over clip is used. Barry
  • StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    Yes, the wire attached at the generator should be loosened, rotated 180o, and the wire /loom rested on top of the water distribution jacket.  My recollection is that two of the jackets bolts should have the tin loom supports as mentioned by Geoff.   I'd have to check my '34 to verify there are a total of two (one near front, one near rear) during the day.
  • 35 Terraplane
    Hello All,
    A few more questions.  In doing the wiring I removed the instrument cluster.  Is the little hole on the speedometer the one you put the oil in?  I recall reading a few drops of three&one will do.  Also the light sockets have a felt washer with three slits that go over the prongs that hold the lamp socket in place.  Just curious what they do. Shock isolation maybe? 
    Tom
  • Here is a pick of my 35
  • I think the felt is more dust protection
  • 35 Terraplane
    Thanks for the picture. I'll make up bracket. The felt being a dust cover seams right.
    Tom
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    I'd put a couple of small supports along the top of the water manifold, held in place with two of those bolts.
  • I agree, I need 1 more myself
  • 35 Terraplane
    Hi All,
    I have a few more questions. I have the original wire harness removed, labeled, tagged etc. and ready to send to Rhode Island Wiring to reproduce.
    I recall reading in a prior post about a ground strap/wire from the engine to the frame.  I can't find this on my car.  Was this original equipment?  If yes, can anyone post a picture of it's location or tell me were to look?  If no, can anyone point me in the direction of were to add one?
    I recall reading a post about adding a ground to the head light buckets.  Should the ground be attached to the reflector then run to the frame?
    Also recall a post about grounding the gas tank mounted gauge unit.  I'd assume that you'd use one of the mounting screws then run to the frame.  Is this correct?
    I have many pictures taken during the dissemble of the wiring that I can post if anyone would be interested.
    Thanks
    Tom

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    The ground strap to the frame, the headlight ground, and the gas sender unit ground, are a part of the original wiring loom so you don't have to worry about that immediately.

If you envision adding any accessories or non-original electrical attachments to the car, however, now would be the time to add the wiring to the harness.  For example, if you wanted to fit a concealed high beam light (maybe down under the dash) you would want to incorporate a wire that ran up the firewall from the dimmer switch, to somewhere behind the left side of the dash.  Perhaps you are thinking of adding turn signals.  You would then want to run wires to the front bumper for accessory lights (or to the front fenders to turn the fender lamps into turn signals -- if you're fortunate enough to have the original fender lamps.  Likewise, the wires that run back to the stoplights would then have to be two separate wires (since one would feel turn the left brakelight into a turn signal, and a separate brakelight line would run to the right rear stoplight as well).  Electric fuel pump? Then bring an extra wire out wherever you intend to install that.  And so forth.

Generally, there was a ground strap from the battery to a nearby part of the frame, and a second ground strap ran from the bellhousing to the frame.  These would just be standard ground straps, nothing special.

The ground in the headlights wasn't a Hudson factory installation, it would simply be a wire soldered to the socket and then run back (with the rest of the wires) to the nearest frame connection.  This wire might be incorporated into the headlight harness but you would have to figure out where it actually left the harness and grounded out.

I'm not sure where one would ground the gas sender unit.  Possibly from one of the mounting bolts to the nearest part of the frame, where one would drill and tap a hole, install a round head bolt, and fasten the wire there.
  • 35 Terraplane
    Thanks Jon.
  • 35 Terraplane
    Hi Jon,
    Found the ground strap between the bell housing and the frame.  I checked the continuity between the bolt on the bell housing and the bolt connecting the battery ground strap to the battery box and got a good tone. I figure the motor ground strap is insulated from 79 years worth oil and crude so I think I'm good. 
    Tom
This discussion has been closed.