Splash guards in front wheel well at firewall

GaryH
GaryH Member
edited April 2014 in HUDSON
Do anyone have a picture they can send me of the splash guards that fit against the firewall behind the front tires.  From reading it seems there may be a metal upper part and a rubber lower part.  My car appeared to have had the upper part removed - I can see fairly fresh bolt holes for attaching it.  I have no pic to see how those parts go back together or to be sure I order to correct replacements.  Thanks. Gary

Comments

• GaryH
    GaryH Member
    I should add that my car is a 51 Hornet sedan. Thanks. Gary
  • J Spencer
    J Spencer Expert Adviser
    GaryH, Laurie Fromm makes and sells these for your car, $30.00 a set plus 2 bucks postage.  Contact Laurie @ 5857238669 or Email her @HETlauriefromm05@gmail.com    She has an ad in the WTN (page 40 of  March/April issue) under reproduction parts  Stepdown inner fender covers / splash gaurds. (with photo)..  Drop the HET in email address.

Jim Spencer

Western New York Chapter
  • cvs
    cvs Senior Contributor
    What's the best  way to restaple the seal?  Thanks
  • DavidC
    DavidC Senior Contributor
    As far as re-stapling I took standard SS staple-gun staples. After aligning the rubber to the metal I used a 1/16 drill bit to perforate the rubber where the old staple was, passed the staple through, and bent the staple closed. Repeat. Might be better way but this worked for me.
  • Lance
    Lance Member
    David, SS is good but if thats not available, just get copper wire. Works great.
  • J Spencer
    J Spencer Expert Adviser
    As far as re-stapling I took standard SS staple-gun staples. After aligning the rubber to the metal I used a 1/16 drill bit to perforate the rubber where the old staple was, passed the staple through, and bent the staple closed. Repeat. Might be better way but this worked for me.
    DavidC, that's how I did mine years ago along the inner fenders and also the weather seals along the SS window trim. Couldn't use small srews or pop rivets as you would not be able to get the trim back on.
  • Walt-LA
    Walt-LA Senior Contributor
    Gary, Are you referring to the fairly heavy rubber guards which mount low on the face of the firewall or the canvas splash guards which mount on the inner fenders? The former are attached with screws and washers, not staples, and used no metal in their construction, at least in the replacements. These exetend slightly below the firewall, and resemble mudflaps. There is an upper guard as well, on the firewall, which is a relatively narrow strip of rubber mounted horizontally and held by staples. Both were available from K-Gap a few years ago. Don't know current source. Walt-La
This discussion has been closed.