Speedometer cable: cut it too long?

[Deleted User]
edited April 2014 in HUDSON
I just replaced the core of my '51 speedometer cable with a universal (ATP YC-101, 120", about $4.50 at Advance Auto Parts). Fearful of cutting it too short, I think I cut it a bit too long. After tightening everything down, the speedo didn't work, though the speedo end of the cable was spinning. By trial and error I discovered that the speedometer works when the nut on the speedo end of the cable housing is loosened and the cable is pulled out a little; my inference is that I cut the core too long, and it's binding up inside the speedometer.

This morning I snipped a little (maybe 1/8") off the squared speedo end of the core, and got a couple of threads of the nut to engage before the speedo stopped. When I loosened the nut, the speedo worked again. That's where things stand, for the moment.

Am I on the right track? Next step is to snip a little more off the core... and to order a spare from Advance!

Comments

• Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    There should be only about 1/2 to 3/4" of "squared off" inner cable showing at the end of the cable housing, assuming that the cable is properly seated in the pinion at the other end.
  • Lance
    Lance Member
    Werdigo, cut your cable to 72" for a hydramatic. Put plenty of graphite lubricant on the cable before inserting it into the sheath.. You may want to lube the speedo head as well. There is a small wick hole near where you tighten up the knurl nut for the speedo cable .Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.