Speedometer removal ('51)

[Deleted User]
edited April 2014 in HUDSON
Any hints on how to remove the speedometer from a '51? The body manual says first to remove the whole instrument cluster, and I'm having some trouble with that. There's no diagram (in either the shop, parts, or body manuals) to show where the bolts are. I found some of them, but more experienced mechanics know how awkward it is to work under there, cluttered with wires and control cables as it is. If memory serves, I was more flexible 30 years ago, too...

There appear to be screws (I saw 2, but there's probably another one behind some wires) through tabs holding the speedo in place. Is it OK to just remove those, if I can reach them all, and remove the speedometer that way? With it out of the way I might also be able to remove the cluster.

Comments

• leegall
    leegall Expert Adviser
    Hi
    As above   i  also remove the radio  and a strong light  pointed behind the dash will  give you a better look at the Hex nuts . and disconnect the speedo cable from the speedometer head

• Wow! Thanks for the photos, Ken and Lee. I've printed out Ken's with the five bolts identified. Lee, the radio has been gone for years (another round tuit project) so that's a nice access window. Ken, I have a knife switch on the positive (ground) terminal of the battery so that's not an issue... thanks for the warning, though!
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    I've not removed the radio, but removing the speaker gives you a pretty good look at the rear of the instrument cluster.  But Ken's right . . . lie on your back on the floor.  A nut driver will get at all the nuts.
  • dave s
    dave s Senior Contributor, Moderator
    Little tip learned, If you wear bifocals, turn them upside down when working under dash, it puts the magnification where you need it when you look up
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Kool Dave! How did that tip get learned? I thought I was th only on whose glasses fell off the instant I got both hands occupied with stuff you can't let loose!
  • J Spencer
    J Spencer Expert Adviser
    Ken's instructions are right on, now to light up behind the dash, years ago we always used a drop light that was always in the way and got hot. The way to do it now is get one of these cheap or sometimes free LED lights from Harbor freight or??.   It has a hook  and a magnet on the back, find a place to hang it from . I used mine last year when I had to take the Instrament cluster out.  Works like a charm!!  Wished I had those years ago when I was mechanicing and had to work up under the dash.

Jim Spencer
    WNY Chapter
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    edited April 2014
    I use a fluorescent shop light.  Have two of those - plenty of light, but no heat.  And an LED "wand style" light for when away from AC power.  Went to fluorescents long ago after working on a fuel pump in the pit in Herbert Bell's garage.  Definitely didn't want a stream of gas hitting that hot bulb.
This discussion has been closed.