Kdancy
Kdancy Senior Contributor
edited April 2014 in HUDSON
48-50 were painted silver or aluminum
51-53 Hornet and 53 Jet were Gold
51-53 non Hornet 232-262- 254 eight  --- Silver
54 all were Red
'55-6 engines were Grey
Replacement engine blocks were not painted on the outside, and the 7X blocks also came thru in natural Chrome-Alloy
The "brick red" inside most engine blocks is "glyptal".

Comments

• Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    edited April 2014
    What color were factory replacement engines.
    Lee O'Dell
  • oldhudsons
    oldhudsons Senior Contributor
    Mucho anos ago I bought a pallet of 4 '55-6 engines from Dave Bullock & as I recall they were grey, but that's AMC; not sure about replacement blocks direct to dealers from Hudson factory tho.
  • Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    51-53 non Hornets = silver/aluminum

51-53 Hornet and 53 Jet were Gold , no bronze

54 all were Red.
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Ric's got it right, as far as I know. 
  • My 49 262 is red.

54 308-red

56 308-red Will need to scrape paint to see if it was repainted.
  • 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    Replacement engine blocks were not painted on the outside, and the 7X blocks also came thru in natural Chrome-Alloy.  Any Hudson that has a red colored engine except the '54 thru '56, most likely has a replacement engine block, and if it was replaced during or after 1954, it was just the thing for the dealers to paint them RED ! ! !
  • TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    My 56 was gray also,but after coming out of the wash cabinet at the machine shop was red everywhere that wasn't machined. I figured if it survived that I'd leave it on.

• StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    The "brick red" inside most engine blocks is "glyptal".   It is a somewhat rubberized sealer paint intended to quell porosity problems with cast iron.  It also increases the speed of splashed oil runoff so that it returns more quickly to the pan /pump.   Glyptal is available from Eastwood for re-coating.
This discussion has been closed.