Step Down Hood Adjustments?

RL Chilton
RL Chilton Administrator, Member
edited April 2014 in HUDSON
Since the Body Manual is pretty much useless, I thought I would rack y'all's brain for an answer on this one.

I have installed the hood on the convertible and now need to make an adjustment on the driver side, in that the hood hinge bracket needs to move rearwards.  After loosening the bolts that hold hinge to cowl, the bracket then moves forward due to the spring tension on the bracket.  Now, how do I get it to go backwards to where I want it so that I can re-tighten the bolts?  

I've tried pushing on it, hammering on it with a block of wood and keeping added pressure and I've looked for a way to "pry" it backwards, all to no avail.  

Any thoughts?

Comments

• 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    Russell   -   I've always adjusted the hood on the hinge rather than try to move the hinge itself rearward.  Guess I never gave a thought to moving the position of the hinge itself !

Jerry
  • RL Chilton
    Ken-

Not exactly, with the fender firmly attached to the car.  
  • RL Chilton
    The inner fender is in place, but I suppose that is my only real option, that is, to remove it and get at the spring.  
  • brumac
    brumac Expert Adviser
    How about a bumper jack or port-a- power against the hinge and radiator support It worked for me. Bruce
  • RL Chilton
    Bruce-
    I'll give that some thought.  Everything is freshly painted right now and I would hate to mess that up.  We'll see.   Thanks for the suggestion.  
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor

No Pics? How's the rest of your gaps on the header and doors?

• RL Chilton
    Gaps are back to factory specs.  Hood's just a little racked and I wanted to straighten it out a little.  
  • Frankvintagefullflowcom
    Frankvintagefullflowcom Senior Contributor
    I don't think I've seen a S/D hood fit that really looked right. I just figgered it was Hudson thing.
    F
  • RL Chilton
    Well, that's true, but if it's rubbing on one side and has a gap on the other, then it needs to be racked over so that at least it doesn't rub hood to fender.  
  • russmaas
    russmaas Senior Contributor
    Russ what you need to do is get a 2x4 about 18 inches long. Takes two people, lightly loosen the two bolts on the cowl for the hinge. Take the 2x4 push on the front plate off the hinge, have someone tighten the bolts as you move the hinge towards the rear.
  • DavidC
    DavidC Senior Contributor
    Agree with Russ, just did this, but one additional comment: use a full length 1x4 or 2x4 to push from front of car on hinge while helper loosens/tightens bolts. That spring is very strong, and it makes it much easier to lean in with a bit of body weight to push bracket toward rear.
    Dave
  • RL Chilton
    Thank you so much for the tips, everyone.  I tried the 2 x 4 trick to no avail.  I guess I just didn't have enough "Maas" behind it to move it. :D

In the end, the Porta Power was the ticket for me.  That made it a one-man job, which was good, 'cause there's only one of me.  Hood closed for the first time in 49 years tonight.  What a great feeling!!    I love all the adjustments that Hudson built into everything.  Really makes it so easy to "make it right".  
This discussion has been closed.