Chrome Trim Removal Help - '54 Jet

[Deleted User]
edited April 2014 in HUDSON
How does the chrome trim that runs from the front windshield, to the doors, to the rear of the car ... come off? I need to do some painting under the chrome and don't want to damage it by prying.

Once again, it's a '54 Jet.

Any tips?

Thanks!

Comments

• Chris Smith
    Chris Smith Expert Adviser
    If its the polished stainless drip rail moulding you are referring to, I had good luck on my Hornet with a soda bottle cap opener with masking tape wrapped around it. Everything else trim wise is a friggin nightmare. :((
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Best method to take the body trim off is to have a pry bar, and something like a plastic or steel rule to  go against the body to lever against.  Lever  only one side off, don't try and peel it off both sides at a time or you will distort the trim. 
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    soak with penetrating oil first. Rust build up on the rails makes it difficult
  • DavidC
    DavidC Senior Contributor
    A vinyl siding removal tool has a tiny j channel hook on the end which can be slipped under the molding, catch the molding, and GENTLY pry the molding outward and off the retainers. DO put something under it (spackle knife, mult layers tape, etc) against paint to save the paint.
  • Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor

I have used the "RED Devil" paint scraper to pry the trim. Good for straight lengths. Needs a backing
    board to avoid damaging the paint.
  • cvs
    cvs Senior Contributor

I also used a bent red devil scraper   once started  just tap with a hammer lengthwise.  Use lots of lubricant. Good luck

• Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    I may be a little late to the party, but since I need to pull my stainless to paint my 54 I stopped by Harbor freight today and picked up a few small pry bars. They run about a buck each and since they are low quality stuff, I can grind them to what works for me. I bought four.... Just tried one and it works great and does not damage the stainless....
  • Ducor Kid
    Ducor Kid Expert Adviser
    Brownie, Any pictures of how you ground yours to get the trim off.
    Thanks,
    Larry

• Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    So I went out to the shop and gathered up all my stainless removal tools and took a photo. So, here you are--by the way, I sharpened them before I took the photo....... By the way, no one tool works better than the other. My rule is the smaller the tool the better it is to start with/
  • Ducor Kid
    Ducor Kid Expert Adviser
    Thanks, Brownie
This discussion has been closed.