Clutch OIl Level

48Sed
48Sed Senior Contributor
edited March 2014 in HUDSON
How common is it to find the clutch oil level low after only 3000-4000 miles,two years since last change?
I drained the oil to put in fresh oil  from Dr Doug and only 1.5 ounces came out.
I wonder how many were run dry back in the day?

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    The problem would be easiest to solve if it was at the filler plugs on the flywheel.  Just wipe the flywheel clean, in the area around the filler plugs, then check that area again after a few days of driving, to see if the oil seems to be seeping out there.
  • PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    THERE MAY BE ANOTHER ANSWER THAT IS IF YOUR CLUTCH WAS DRYED OUT BEFORE YOU CHANGED THE OIL ( LIKE THE CAR SAT A LONG TIME) THE CORKS MAY HAVE SOAKED UP SOME OF THE THE NEW CLUTCH FULID I WOULD DRAIN IT AND ADD CLUTCH FULID AGAIN DRIVE IT THIS SUMMER AND DRAIN AND CHECK IT IN THE FALL AND THEN SEE WHERE YOUR AT  :-)
  • oldhudsons
    oldhudsons Senior Contributor
    and in conjunction with what Paul posted, if a newly recorked disc, need to soak it in Hudsonite prior to installation
  • Ken,

Teacher of unknowing Hudson owners. Have been putting my orignals back in. Are the copper crush washers easy to acquire (where do you pick them up) and do I need some dimensions to purchase correctly? Could drag the old one along but of course it is somewhat deformed. Did not see a recommended torque in my 1948 service manual. May have missed the the obvious but can you tell me the torque value?

Thanks for keeping us on the right path.

Drew
  • Ken,

Thanks very much!  Plan to pick up some new washers today and service my clutch as soon as weather permits.  Car is still in cold storage here (Literally).  Live in Minnesnowta.

Drew

• 48Sed
    48Sed Senior Contributor
    I checked the drain plugs for leaks the last couple of days and they are ok.
    The clutch was installed in 08 and the car is used each year.
    I think that the main leak in from the throwout bearing seals.
    Thanks
  • Got these washers/seals from auto store. Probably designed for a drain plug. They look like they could work because of tight rubber seal attached to steel ring. Anyone try these?
  • 48Sed
    48Sed Senior Contributor
    airbrushguy  how did your new seals work,where did you buy them?
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    Got these washers/seals from auto store. Probably designed for a drain plug. They look like they could work because of tight rubber seal attached to steel ring. Anyone try these?

Looks like a Buick oil drain plug gasket , circa 1990'S
This discussion has been closed.