FIRING PROBLEM

Unknown
edited November -1 in The Flathead Forum
I have a 1951 Hudson 232 with overdrive. My problem is that the 2 cylinders closest to fire wall are not working. When I have it running it misses and when I took off the 2 spark plug wires there is no change but when I take off the other 4 wires there is a change. I took the head off and all the valves and pistons are seating fine. Have put a tune up kit on it. Thanks for your help. Don

Comments

• Try changing the plugs. I had a 327 st 8 thunderblot Packard, one cylinder rose a little higher than the other. I had to use a shorter plug(j-11 reg , J-11Y was tad shorter)on the one cylinder. it ran fine.
  • shadetree
    shadetree Senior Contributor
    Compression, fuel, fireing at the correct time for each cylinder will usually make the old Hudson run. Champion 844-1 small engine spark plugs at Walmart works good for my Hudson. I have heard of fuel being blocked from cylinders by mud dobbers if setting open for a while. Let us know what you find
  • shadetree
    shadetree Senior Contributor
    DONS wrote:
    I have a 1951 Hudson 232 with overdrive. My problem is that the 2 cylinders closest to fire wall are not working. When I have it running it misses and when I took off the 2 spark plug wires there is no change but when I take off the other 4 wires there is a change. I took the head off and all the valves and pistons are seating fine. Have put a tune up kit on it. Thanks for your help. Don

Compression, firing at cylinder at correct time and fuel are the key, I like Champion small engine 844-1 spark plugs found at walmart, works best for my Hudson. I have heard of fuel being blocked in intake manifold by mud dobbers if open for a while. Let us know what you find.
  • Recently, my 49 Hudson with 39 Super 8 motor quit running.  After much angst, I discovered the points had lost all tension in the points arm.  I tried to replace the points and condenser without pulling the distributor, but found out it required pulling the distributor to do it right.  I won't go into the number of small screws I dropped and lost, but the accuracy and small points gap demand precision settings.  I finally followed the manual in detail by detail, and the old girl runs like a champ.  It was always a bit difficult to crank, but now it will crank with a punch of the starter button, and run like a top (still vapor locks).  I would replace the rotor cap and the rotor button.  The condition and size of rotor/distributor cap gap is all important as to precision of fit.  Good luck and don't give up.  .
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Silly question I know, the wires are going to the correct plugs?
  • Check compression on those two (or all, while you're at it). Low or lack of compression on two adjacent cylinders smacks of blown head gasket between cylinders. If so, don't run it further! Running it that way will eventually result in serious block/head damage due to erosion from hot gasses rushing through the gap....~1000 times/minute at cruising speed.

F

This discussion has been closed.