Speedometer gear SW 448286/18T wanted

micki
micki Senior Contributor
edited March 2014 in Parts & Pieces
Dave Sollon and others! I wish you will read my desire.
For my 1954 Hudson gear box (3 shift double lever type with overdrive) I need a Stewart Warner speedometer gear with 18 teeth. The number
SW 448286/18T can be seen on the gear axle. The cog wheel is made of fiber. It is similar to the 15 teeth gear you can see in the enclosed picture.
On a discussion at Classiccar Forum in Nov 2007 I could find the following comments from Dave Sollon: “I purchased an 18 tooth from Studebaker supplier, StudebakerParts.com”

I have been in touch with studebakerparts@studebakerparts.com but they replied they do not have a cross reference from Stewart Warner to Studebaker part numbers.
I also tried Studebaker@mac.com and albrighthudsons@msn.com without result.

Can anyone help me to find the Steward Warner Speedometer gear SW 448286/18T with 18 teeth?

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I need one too please!
  • dave s
    dave s Senior Contributor, Moderator
    I am sure that is where I found one for our 54. As I recall, Studebaker Parts web page was different 7 and a half years ago and I clicked on each gear they had listed and found one that was the same. I am not sure if part number is the same, but it is very accurate.
  • dave s

SW 448286 18T it is a Steward Warner gear.
    These gears had both the Studebaker and Steward Warner number stamped in the grove.
    This gear was also used in Studebakers.
  • micki
    micki Senior Contributor
    Dave S! Thank you for your comments but they don´t help. Could you please check your email, I have sent a message to you on 22nd Nov 2013 but never got an answer. Is your email address still dsollon@comcast.net or have you changed it.?To help me find the desired gear I ask you to have a look at https://www.studebakerparts.com/studebakerparts/store/s/agora.cgi?cart_id=&p=drvds&xm=on once more and try to find the gear I need! Or could you check the gear you bought from Studebaker parts and look for the Studebaker number on it? It´s just one bolt to loosen to take out the gear. As you can read above also Geoff Clark N.Z. needs one.
    If the way to find the desired gear needs a lot of conversation, please write me on micki.henze@gmail.com
    I will later tell the Forum how I found the gear with your help.
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    I found a 448296 18 tooth gear. Not sure what the difference is (one digit off).
  • dave s
    That is for earlier single lever transmission
  • micki
    micki Senior Contributor
    To ski4life65! The SW 448296/18T gear you have will not fit in my 1954 gearbox with OD. According to the specifications I have it will fit as follows:
    Rear axle 4.10:1, Model 5A,6A,8A, Hudson Drivemaster transmission
    Rear axle 4.55:1, Model 7A, Standard transmission
  • dave s
    edited March 2014
    it has metal teeth and teeth also go in wrong direction. Gear you need is fiber
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    The one I have is fiber. I actually have one from a 54, with the correct number but it is missing some of the teeth
  • micki
    micki Senior Contributor
    To Ken U-Tx! Many thanks for your tip. I will contact Studebaker Int´l by email as I am livung in Sweden.
  • micki
    micki Senior Contributor
    Kdancy!
    You wrote the following message to me some days ago. I received it from the moderator.

Hi Micki, Can you post a picture with a ruler laying beside the speedo gear for measurement? I buy items from Studebaker international for the Studes I work on. I'll pick up an extra gear for my Hudson transmission. Kdancy

Kdancy, I have already contacted Jim at jim@studebaker-intl.com in my matter but have no answer. Do you still want the picture and for what reason?
  • micki
    micki Senior Contributor
    Ken U-Tx! I have been able to borrow a copy of a SW 448286 18T gear from a friend and made a drawing which I attach. Can this help you and me? There may be small differences in the measures from an original SW gear but this gear works fine.
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Micki, did you get the speedo gear figured out?
  • micki
    micki Senior Contributor
    Kdancy, None of the tips I got have developed in a positive way. But an email contact with David Sollon turned out to be positive. Dave says he has the gear I need but cannot deliver until he is back home in mid of April. Thus, I still am hopeful and hope that Dave really has the correct gear. Michael (micki)
  • dave s
    Micki
    I mailed the gear from post office today. You should have it in 10 - 14 days.
  • dave s
    FYI, The gear I purchased from StudebakerParts.com years ago only had Stewart Warner number on it.
This discussion has been closed.