1950 Pacemaker Fabric

cpr3333
cpr3333 Expert Adviser
edited August 2014 in Parts & Pieces
A little over a year ago, I contacted SMS about getting the correct fabric made for my 1950 Pacemaker seats and door inserts (it's a Deluxe). They are finally just about ready to make it.

I'm not sure how much extra they are going to make so if there is anyone out there who wants the right fabric for your 1950 Pacemaker, you might want to give them a call.

Who knows, if I drum up a bit of business for them, they might give me a discount. :)

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I'm curious, Chris -- do they actually have a list of the Hudson fabrics that they now reproduce? I don't recall any sort of catalog on their website and wondered if you might happen to have asked them this question?
  • cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser
    I've never seen an actual list of what they have and I never asked.

I contacted them and asked specifically for 1950 Pacemaker fabric. They responded that they did not have an actual match but they did provide samples of some fabrics they had in stock. A few were in the ballpark and probably would have been close enough for most people but once they told me they could actually reproduce the real thing, I was hooked.

They must have a pretty good reference catalog of some sort because they were able to send me a computer printout of what the original fabric looked like when they sent the samples.

I'm guessing they can reproduce pretty much anything but it takes time. Like I said, I've waited over a year and they are just now getting to it.

As to getting the colors and pattern right, Dr. Doug happened to have an NOS door panel when I was there and that is what SMS is using as a reference.
  • faustmb
    faustmb Senior Contributor
    I'd like to recover the front seat base only of my 50 Pacemaker. I guess I should give them a call
  • What color are they making for you? Or were they all the same? If they are the same, I would be VERY interested in getting in on the deal.
  • cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser
    faustmb:

Do you have any concerns about an original back matching a new base? In my case, I'm replacing it all so it won't matter.

If and when you call them, you can mention my name if you want. I'm probably the only one getting 1950 Pacemaker fabric made but depending on how they access the information, using my name may be quicker.

Pacemaker500:

As I understand it, all 1950 Pacemakers shared the same fabric. I've attached a picture of the sample I was going to send SMS before I got the NOS part from Dr. Doug. It's not quite as bright and my cell phone doesn't have the best camera but it's a pretty good approximation - good enough for you to see if it matches yours anyway.

As to getting in on the deal, call SMS and use my name if you want but any deal is between you and them - I'm just passing along the information.

smsautofabrics.com/

• faustmb
    Chris, I'm sure the new fabric would not match my 60 year old cloth, but it would match better than a huge hole :) I have too much on my plate to consider redoing the upholstery, but that hole bothers me. My interior is very decent original, I hate to mess with the good parts.

Here is a standard door panel pic.

photo 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000559.jpg

And my seats

photo 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000562.jpg
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    edited January 2014
    faustmb, might be a good idea to get a piece of the material from the seats that are being redone by the OP. It would be a closer match. Recycle.
  • cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser
    DocHubler:

It looks like there's no difference between deluxe and plain ( :P ) fabric - only where it's used. It still puzzles me as to why green was featured in an interior scheme that was used for all exterior colors. I would have expected something more neutral like gray.

faustmb:

I understand what you mean about a hole and unless the pictures are making your interior look a lot better than it is, I'd say 'decent original' is an understatement. It looks great to me.

Mine, on the other hand, spent too many years in too many barns with too many mice (and who knows what else) to be anything but totally replaced.

lostmind:

the OP?
  • My Pacemaker Brougham, a 1950, has the same fabric on the seats as shown by Chris in Florida. Mine car is not a deluxe, as far as I know, but unlike Faustmb's, mine has the same door panels but arm rests rather than pull straps and the seat back has no robe rail but two ash trays. Perhaps that seat back difference is because it is a Brougham rather than a four door as Faustmb's car is.

Geoff Blake
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    CPR3333--OP means "Original poster"--That would be you. I was thinking a piece of your upholstery would be good enough to use to repair a seat. Sometimes a piece on the bottom or sides is ok. Might match closer than a new piece.
  • cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser
    Geoff:

My Broughams also had 2 ashtrays and no robe rail. I'm guessing that robe rails weren't installed on cars with split seats (2-doors).

As to your car having arm rests and vinyl panels, that is interesting. As I understood it, Pacemakers (serial number starting with 500) had green vinyl inserts and straps while Pacemaker Deluxes (serial number starting with 50A) had fabric inserts matching the seats and arm rests. Dealer installed upgrade maybe?

Every time I think I understand the mysteries of the 1950 Pacemaker/Deluxe, I'm thrown another curve ball.

lostmind:

Thanks for the clarification - I'm not up on all of the online slang.

As to using some of my upholstery, the mice got a lot of it and what they didn't get is so thin that it's useless. Maybe somone else's would be better?
  • Well, Chris, my Pacemaker's serial number starts with 500 so it isn't a deluxe. Curiouser and curiouser.

Geoff Blake
  • Faustmb, it appears from your photos that the front doors have armrests rather than the straps. Are the straps on the rear doors only?

Geoff Blake
  • Yes, Doc, mine has the armrests but has the grey vinyl with the green vinyl inserts. The armrests are covered with the same grey as the outer parts of the door panels.

Geoff Blake
  • faustmb
    My car has armrests on the front doors, and straps on the rear. I'll ask my dad if the robe rail is original. My grandpa did a few little upgrades when the car was a few years old, like install rear wing windows from a commodore. He also added a Crosley radio (I have since removed) and also added a hand throttle (cruise control :)).
  • faustmb, I notice that the grey vinyl on your car has as much creosote soaking through as my car has. It is too bad that that cannot be cleaned away because the vinyl is otherwise in good condition. But, I think the creosote has permeated the cloth and would not be removable.

Geoff Blake
  • cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser
    The NOS one that I got from Dr. Doug had the same problem.
  • cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser

Wow - I can't believe it's been over 6 months since I started this thread.

I just got word today that the fabric has been completed and they sent me the attached picture.

What do you think? I'll hold off on my opinion so I don't affect the results but, as you might guess by the fact that I'm asking, I'm not 100% sold.

• Hey Chris
    I have a question I hope you don't mind answering. I am looking to have SMS duplicate the fabric on my 1952 Pacemaker. I have a great pattern, but I am wondering how much I will need to save up. (Since I really want to do this I figured I better start saving now) What are they charging for the reproduction fabric per yard? I would figure that the fabric patterns are similar enough, that the cost would be comparable.
    Thanks,
    Brandon
  • cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser

Brandon,

I sent you a PM.  I don't mind sharing the info but don't want to post it since it may be out of date.

• Rob Fayette
    Rob Fayette Expert Adviser
    Hi Chris,
    I am also curious as to how much SMS charges to make your Hudson fabric.  If you would PM me also I would appreciate it.  Thanks.  Rob
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Chris, I looked at a hidden piece of fabric on the seat I got from your parts car.The piece I looked at was hidden from light, behind the seat frame. It sure looks like a "ringer" to me.
  • cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser
    edited July 2014

To my eye, the original picture I posted seemed dark so I had them send me another one, this one against the NOS panel that I had sent them as a sample.  Based on this picture, it looks like they nailed it!

DocHubler,

They have not told me how much they have made but I'll ask.  As to how they did it, I don't know that either.  I guess if you do fabric for a living, you pick up a few tricks over the years.

Update - they said they made a whole roll, but didn't specify what a whole roll is.  I'm assuming it means they made extra.

• You won't find anything closer than that.  I'd suggest you buy what you need before they sell it off. 
  • cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser

Another update...

I got a sample in the mail this weekend - it looks better in person.

• cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser

A few people have asked me if the same fabric was used in other years or models.

My understanding is that it was used only in the 1950 Pacemaker and Pacemaker Deluxe.

Can anyone confirm?

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Wow!  That looks great, Chris.  That's the best reproduction cloth I've seen for a Hudson.  
  • cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser

Ken,

Did you see my car too?

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Love that color on your car, Chris!
  • cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser

Thanks.

It's supposed to be Hawaii Green like it came from the factory but my mother is convinced that it was darker and greener before my father painted it a horrible aqua color.  Of course that was over 50 years ago so maybe her memory of it is a bit off.

I'm also thinking the color could have changed a bit in the 10 or so years from new until she saw it.  Would it have darkened though?

This discussion has been closed.