222 cid Hudson

So.....my 254 str8 8 is now a str8 7. #2 piston broke off just above the wrist pin at the lowest ring grove.I ripped the head off,pulled the broken piston top out,welded a 1/2 bolt and nut to the top of the exposed rod to make up for the weight lost from missing piston top.Then stuck a claw hammer under the valves and lifted them high enough to remove adjusters to disable the valves on cylinder #2. Sprayed the used head gasket with copper coat and reinstalled the head.Ive put around 500 miles on it.At an idle you can barely tell its missing and its smooth.Its got a heart beat when you drive it but not bad.Here is a few shots of "Rus$ell",an all Hudson rat.

Comments

• GrimGreaser
    GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
    Heh, pictures or it didn't happen.
  • Wellllllll, I don't have pictures either, but I had to do a similar thing with our '51 S-6. I bought it from an ebay liar in Colo Sprgs (daily driver is a fuzzy term it seems) and got halfway to Denver when it blew the spark plug out of #1 which was a stroke of luck, as that's the cyl that wasn't running anyway due to a burned valve. (I knew that the instant I started it but didn't know which cyl was dead at that time). We got a roll-back ride to Denver, rented a car, bought a set of Wally World tools and a few item at a parts store, then reamed/tapped the plug hole for a 1/2 drain plug, removed the adjuster for the #1 Exh. valve (had to cut it off to make it short enough) and drove it the 1500 miles home.....almost. The center of the "new clutch" tore loose about 15 miles from home. Close enough.
    The story is much, much longer than that but I'll spare you the gory details. You can read that stuff when the book comes out.

Frank
This discussion has been closed.