Bermuda Bell?

RL Chilton
RL Chilton Administrator, Member
edited June 2013 in HUDSON
I'd like to find a Bermuda Bell for the convertible, if anyone has one for sale. Currently, there are none listed on E-Bay.

It's a bad case of the wants, and it's John Forkner's fault. :-h

Comments

• TOM-WA-
    TOM-WA- Senior Contributor
    what is a bermuda bell??
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    Tom - a bell that rings only in Bermuda!!! :D Honestly tho, I think this accessory was a required item back when cars first started clogging up what passed for highways back then. Drivers were required to ring the bell so many times (three comes to mind) when approaching a cross-road to alert other drivers that might be approaching said cross-road. I'm pretty sure there were other rings for other situations. I could be wrong on this, however.
    It became popular again in the 1950's but I don't remember why. Sort of like the way we rigged bicycle sirens to our cars so we could pull the wheel against the fan belt to make the siren sound off. Needless to say John Law took a dim view of this little accessory so it didn't last to long.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • RL Chilton
    In addition to Alex's comments, I'd add that it was a popular item in the very early days of horseless carriages, and as Alex pointed out, made a comeback, although brief in the 50's.

Not sure if it was true, but it was my impression that they were used more for warning pedestrians and were of a more pleasant "Excuse Me", as opposed to the car's horn. They were mounted under the floorboard and activated by your foot.

Here is a very loud version of a typical Bermuda Bell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LKyMUFKpvs

• ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    edited June 2013
    I find I get better vision under a pedestrian's feet when I give them a taste of my Aermore 4 barrel
  • PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    I LIKE IT I LIKE IT NOW I'M LOOKING FOR 1 ALSO
  • TOM-WA-
    TOM-WA- Senior Contributor
    I HAVE A CLAXON OR AN AHOOOGA HORN IN MY WASP......VERY EFFECTIVE FOR SLOW MOVING PEOPLE IN A CROSS WALK ....ALSO GREAT TO FIRE OFF WHEN I NOTICE SOMEONE IN THE BACK SWING AT OUR NEAR BY GOLF COURSE!!
  • StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    My '34 Terraplane convert had a bermuda bell most of its life and still does today. No way of knowing when it was first installed. It was an attention getter in the days of early motoring for whatever reason you want to apply. But in the '50s it became a way to get the attention of the pretty girls walking down the sidewalk. Still effective today. HA !
  • RL Chilton
    StillOutThere-

Whilst searching around, I found an old post of yours on the HAMB about the bell.

Essx28-

Same principle, just different kind of grin. LOL!
  • hudsontech
    Was thinking (dangerous for me) about the uses of the bell on cars - I think Russell is correct in its use to warn pedistrians. Think about it a moment - trolley cars were among the main sources of transportation back in those days and trolleys used a bell to warn pedistrians and motorists. Makes sense tome. Maybe the bermuda bell should be called a trolley bell.

Hudsonly
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • RL Chilton
    That's good thinking, Alex. Some also-used names for the Bermuda Bell:

Bermuda Bell
    Trolley Bell
    Carriage Bell
    Ding-Dong Bell
  • hudsontech
    They named a bell after my ex-wife!!!!! How cool is that!

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • RL Chilton
    Believe it or not, one popped up on E-Bay, so I snatched it up. Nice one, too. Will post pics when I get it.
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Why is it called a Bermuda Bell?
    Because that's what's on the box!

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    I think in Bermuda , they have bicycle taxi's , use the bells to warn of approach.
  • 54SuperWasp
    54SuperWasp Expert Adviser
    Pretty Neat! I'm sure everybody's searchin on E-Bay right now! lol Michel
  • StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    Warshawsky's (J.C.Whitney) in Chicago sold hundreds, maybe thousands, of these things. They are still in biz; someone call there Monday and ask........
  • hudsontech
    jcwhitney.com

Alex Burr
    Memphis, Com
  • RL Chilton
    Forgot to post these! The rusty cruddy bell I bought cleaned up really nice. Top bell is brass, bottom is steel, which gives it the two distinct tones (b. Nice piece (beautiful sound), this one is from the turn of the 20th century.

imageimage
  • hudsontech
    Nice job - gonna put it in the convert???? Drive the 'vert into French Lick with the bell clanging. LOL

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • RL Chilton
    All ready installed!! Works great, sounds beautiful.
  • hudsontech
    RL you may have a unique add-on. Doubt there many, if any, in cars. Now all you have to do is find a bicycle siren mounted so it turns on the fan belt. Like we used to do on our bicycles against the tire. I think they're illegal now - cops and firefighters didn't like the competition.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • RL Chilton
    edited December 2014
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    edited December 2014
    I've had one on my 54 since 2009. If people are turning their heads to look at my 54 as I am cruising down the road I like to give them a "ding-dong" of the Bermuda Bell, I get a lot of smiles and waves.  I went through a toll booth a few years ago and as I pulled away I gave the attendant a "ding-dong", she then announced over the loud speakers at the toll center to look at the green car... it has a door bell for a car horn.  I gave everyone ding-dongs for a half a mile, people passing me took pictures and gave me the thumbs-up.

John Forkner
This discussion has been closed.