Another Terraplane St Rod

Ol racer
Ol racer Senior Contributor
edited April 2012 in Street Rods
FYI
Just found another '37 Terraplane under construction. Dont have a good picture yet but just practicing Posting.This car is Chevy Power with a lot of interesting updates....

Comments

• fossiltin62
    fossiltin62 Expert Adviser
    Another "crate 350". Common as fly crap. If you're going to "modernize" it, put in a Viper motor.
  • MikeWA
    MikeWA Senior Contributor
    I know the 350 is boring, but sure would make a reliable driver, that you could fix in Podunk, Wyoming, and maybe that's what he's after. As one guy said, "If you happened onto an auto parts store that had only one part in stock, it would be for a 350."
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    FYI
    At least its another Hudson running around the Streets in his area and no different then a an old Ford running around with a Chevy Mtr. This Hudson is a rare slant back model with nice tasteful looking modifications while retaining the unique Hudson appearance....
  • Man, its been a long time since I've been on this forum, but I see some people just don't get it still. fossil"crap"62, I set this sub-forum up years ago for those of us who street rodded Hudsons, Essex's, and Terraplanes and frankly were sick and tired of low-browed cavemen like yourself who find nothing to say but criticize another man's ride. Who cares if it has a SBC? A viper? Pull your head out buddy, I know one who has a viper in a Mopar and he has nothing but trouble with it and thousands of dollars in its install and fabrication. Why don't you buy him a viper motor "sh3t-4-brains?" This is exactly what I talked about all those years ago. All talk and no walk! And people wonder why the Club is at risk to die out? As long as Hudson onwners find joy in treating others disrespectfully, the Hudson name will be tarnished. fossil, stay out of the Hudson forums if you've got nothing nice to say.

Jay Eldridge
  • Viper motor is V10 costs big dollars. 350 is cost effective. I dropped a 350 in my 66 GMC truck. Rebuilt it completely for under $1500 paid $500 for new Edlebrock intake and carb and have a nice sweet running driver for 2k. Nothing special looks good runs good and is cheap to get parts for. Plus tons of help from boards on that engine.
  • Jay

How are you doing? Long time since you were here. As I remember you are in AZ?

Cheers
    Ken
  • Hey Jay
    Lighten up. The man expressed an opinion, may not be popular with some, but his opinion. You talk about him being disrespectful and then start throwing comments about "fossils" and "sh3t-4-brains". You probably would take exception to "young punk", and I certainly dont suggest you are, but civility has a prominent place in the Hudson community.
    Joe
  • tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    perhaps what set jay off was the "common as fly crap" vs. "not for me, but it's his car", but i that was a comment about a car. jay comment was made to insult a person. i agree with joe, it's all opinion and you don't have to dump on someone to express it. regards, tom
  • hoggyrubber
    hoggyrubber Expert Adviser
    well i have to say i like that car! i think ol racer is right, the main thing is getting it back on the road. not everyone has the means or inclination to be hudson powered. that being said, i sure an glad to have the running 308 in mine and the chevy six i had in for a while out. i enjoy inline chevys, but i am stoked about the hudson six. can't wait to get it out for some longer trips. the longer i have my hornet the more original stuff i want on it. i'm not a purist, but i do enjoy it more. i have decided to go back to orig style fuel pump eventually.
  • fossiltin62
    js(s$it)rail, YOU are the A$$hole here. My opinion is my own, as yours is yours. However,with a crowd like you buying Hudsons, it won't be long until there won't be any originals left, so blow it out your smaller hole, not the one on your face. I've been a mechanic for years, mostly working on GM's, but not owning them. You do your thing S-head, I'll do mine.
  • fossiltin62
    Forgot to sign it Eldridge, I am Will Moon. And for your information, I often go to streetrod shows, As an artform, they are phenomenal. To some, cars are a canvas, to others, a "different" mode of transportation, to others a toy, to me they are history. Go ahead and chop up every one you have, I don't really care.
  • jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    Wow.....
    Sure glad my parents raised me to respect others opinions as well as RESPECT others.
    Geez....
    AND I am proud to say I did the same for my kids.
    Jeff
  • Not that my 2 cents matters but if it's your, do what you want. If everyone had a restored 36...... in his garage it would be worth 2 cents no demand. but a beautiful old restored classic or resto rod or rat rod is what makes it cool. So everybody has to paint them BLACK well that would not work either. Love the classics, feel for the headaches the restores go thru, Love having no cookie cutters when it comes to the great cars and do respect what is yours is ok and I'm not going to change that and I should not try. My brother asked a friend about a car at rocky mountain Street Rod Nats 2 yrs ago " did you see the 40 ford? which one? the red one? which one? the one with the big block. Which one? the one with gray interior. Which one? the pro street and craigers. Which one? .The................................. , Oh did you see the 38 Hudson? yes the red...... with the ....... and ....... and ....... Only one down there.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Whatever happened to common courtesy and good manners?   People can do what they want with their cars, basically, and it is our option to help them or not. Personally, I prefer not, but I won't stoop to common vulgarity to express why.
  • Is it me or is this thread from 2012 and then gets brought up each year?
    I see 2012 dates and then a couple 2013 and now 2014?
  • essexcoupe3131
    essexcoupe3131 Senior Contributor
    Man, its been a long time since I've been on this forum, but I see some people just don't get it still. fossil"crap"62, I set this sub-forum up years ago for those of us who street rodded Hudsons, Essex's, and Terraplanes and frankly were sick and tired of low-browed cavemen like yourself who find nothing to say but criticize another man's ride. Who cares if it has a SBC? A viper? Pull your head out buddy, I know one who has a viper in a Mopar and he has nothing but trouble with it and thousands of dollars in its install and fabrication. Why don't you buy him a viper motor "sh3t-4-brains?" This is exactly what I talked about all those years ago. All talk and no walk! And people wonder why the Club is at risk to die out? As long as Hudson onwners find joy in treating others disrespectfully, the Hudson name will be tarnished. fossil, stay out of the Hudson forums if you've got nothing nice to say.

Jay Eldridge

Hey Jay, hope all is good for you and your health is improving
    Always a bed down here for you should you come back down under
    Mike
  • Wow, I think everyone would be happy to have another back on the road. I just want to say I love cars! All kinds and ages and styles. Far better to have one saved from the salvage yard with a chevy in it, or basic black or any other combination versus the shredder or crusher.
    I found mine in a salvage yard. in 2009. It had been the yards bill board since 1947 or so in Alamogordo N.M.
    It won't be a resto, it will have a blown Hemi in it. BUt it will be on the street!

Just my 2C.
    D Cannell
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    D Cannell

How about some pictures of you project. By the way, what kind of car is it. I love cars with superchargers. I had a 34 Chevy Coupe with 371 Crager with B& M HYDRO in 60's and a 64 El Camino with Magnuson double blower under hood supercharger in 1990's. Both were SBC and fun to drive and easy on gas, 25 mpg, when not hot footing it. Both cars ran with cooler water temperatures with superchargers then just carbureted. The blower whine sounds cool but gets old real quick on long trips. I still have the Magnuson Supercharger as well as two new in the box 177 Weiand superchargers. One for long and one for short SBC water pump. Have not decided which one to use with the SBC engine going into my 47 Hudson PU. Still have a lot of work before deciding. It will be my daily driver. The blower whine may be the deciding factor.

I promised to keep my 52 Hornet original as long as I own it as condition to purchase. Since it only gets 7 mpg in town I can't afford it as my daily driver. On highway it is better at 16 mpg. That is the main reason to go with SBC for the PU. From previous experience I know I can get 25 supercharged and maybe a little better with economy style driving.

There was a 47 Crosley as a sign post at our local wrecking yard for decades. I wanted it but he would not sell. Then one day driving by it was gone.

Good luck with your project. I hope you keep us posted on progress with your project on a regular basis. Sounds like it will become a thriller to drive.

Lee O'Dell

• Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    Recently found out the vacuum advance not working on 52 Hornet ( leak in vacuum advance canister) I may get better gas mileage now with a good vacuum advance working.

Lee O'Dell

This discussion has been closed.