Changing Flathead cooling to electric

Unknown
edited November -1 in The Flathead Forum
I've had enough! I am going to change from belt driven cooling to electric cooling. I know I know I might lose a little OLD SCHOOL look but everytime I get in bumper to bumper traffic it overheats. Any suggestions from you guys out there?? Speedway sells a fan with the brackets.

hotrodjoe

Comments

• Now Joe don't go astubin yer toe ! I grew up with flatheads and never had one that wouldn't run cool. All these things contribute . Inside of engine/radiator CLEAN - rows of cores in radiator-use thermostat year round-shroud around fan-number of blades on fan- an escape for the hot air under the hood { What kinda mods have you done to body and what do you have it in ? } Besides a bit of %$#&(&@#$ what have you tried that didn't work ? BUD
  • I have changed to an electric fan and the cooling the engine is done. It works great!! BUT BUT now I have a charging the battery problem. It seems when I take it out at night with all the lights on and the electric fan running and the radio on the generator cannot charge the battery fast enough. I think I need to go to a alternator that puts out 60 plus amps.
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    Sometimes adding a 5 blade works then ensure all the air goes thru the Radiator and not above or around by adding baffles in front. Add electric fans in back side is best & ensure rotation is correct. Best Alt is older GM Internal Regulator Type.
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    I bought my 60 amp. 6 volt positive ground alternator for my 52 Hornet from Bill at 620-228-1477. Lights are brighter and I can read the gages at night now. Very happy with results. The last time I called him about price it was $134.95 which includes shipping. 28 years in the business.

Good luck.
    Lee O'Dell
  • jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor

Although a bit on the spendy side, I put in a powergen that I got from Summit Racing. Looks just like a gennie and puts out plenty for lights, fan & radio. All still 6 volts.

Jeff

• Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    Joe, if you want to try an electric  fan, I've got a Vintage Air puller fan, still in the box.  $50.
  • DavidC
    DavidC Senior Contributor
    A fan shroud will do the trick as well. The Hudson rad allows for enough forward movement, and there are kits out there that can be made to fit. I used a Dodge rad so can only give you advice down that path, but if you measure the core area you can find a shroud to work. Yes, you will need to clearance the crank pulley or other accessories added over the years, but the original fan will move plenty of air if given a shroud to pull it through
    Dave
  • Hudson Grandpa
    Hudson Grandpa Expert Adviser
    Had a 3 core Rad, then added fan.  3 core went south, got lucky found a used 4 core.  Took rad fan off, temp runs at about 200 in idling traffic 100 degrees outside. 180degrees at 60mph with engine fan only.  If this one goes it will still be a 4 core.  Too much engine for a 3 core. 3 core fine if you live where it doesn't get over 90degrees in August.
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    HG, that sounds like an engine that's running a lot hotter than normal.  I have trouble with my 308 getting warm enough in the winter.  And have never had to use the fan, even in the hottest weather and AC on.
This discussion has been closed.