41 Front Fenders for a sedan

firestone 79
firestone 79 Senior Contributor
edited September 2014 in HUDSON
Hi all,
I met a guy who is looking for 41 front fenders. I can't remember if he said he needs the long ones or the short ones. I believe he has a sedan. He's located in Boston, MA area. Don't have many specifics, my apologies, but if anyone knows of anything, feel free to post.
Greg

Comments

• Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    firestone 79 wrote:
    Hi all,

I met a guy who is looking for 41 front fenders. I can't remember if he said he needs the long ones or the short ones. I believe he has a sedan. He's located in Boston, MA area. Don't have many specifics, my apologies, but if anyone knows of anything, feel free to post.

Greg

Are the 1940 - 47 fenders interchangeable?

Lee
  • bellbigdawg
    bellbigdawg Expert Adviser
    1940 fenders 40 only. 1941 fenders 41 only. 46 and 47 same. in 1941 there are no short/long fenders. they are the same for all 1941 models. the wheelbase difference was taken up in front by a long/short hood, and the fender mount area on the lower cowl was moved back for the short wheelbase models. take the pickup for instance, different cabs for short/long wheelbase, and different hoods. fenders are the same for both models.:D
  • bellbigdawg
    firestone 79 wrote:
    Hi all,

Greg

I have been looking for a good set of 1941 front fenders for years now. have asked in the forum several times, but have not had any luck! you have some for sale, I would gladly buy from you!!:)
  • '40 and '41 will interchange
  • bellbigdawg
    1941HUDSON wrote:
    '40 and '41 will interchange

according to the 1940-1942 parts book, front RH fender is part number 140880 for 1940 plain one, for 1941 plain one, part number is 146880. so they are definitely different parts. question is, what is that difference. (side note, all 1940 fenders part numbers start with 140, while the 1941 fender part numbers start with a 146. if the parts were the same from 1940 to 1941, the book always reflects an identicle part number):eek:
  • 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    The difference in part numbers is because of the position of holes in the sheet metal for the various moldings that were used during that time period. The sheet metal might be the same, however because of trim differences, the fender part numbers would differ

Jerry

53jetman
  • The only difference I have seen would be where the headlight door goes on.

It is recessed, matching the headlight door, with a number of holes following the resess on the '40. On '41 there is no recess. I have used both types, they seem to work fine. The headlight door covers all of this up, the fenders look the same once the headlight door is on.
  • bellbigdawg
    53jetman wrote:
    The difference in part numbers is because of the position of holes in the sheet metal for the various moldings that were used during that time period. The sheet metal might be the same, however because of trim differences, the fender part numbers would differ

Jerry

53jetman

those fenders have different part numbers. the two part numbers I listed are for fenders with NO trim holes, no fender lamp holes. they are "plain" fenders.
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    bellbigdawg wrote:
    those fenders have different part numbers. the two part numbers I listed are for fenders with NO trim holes, no fender lamp holes. they are "plain" fenders.

While I can't offer further assistance with the differences in fenders from '40 and '41 (I've been told they are interchangeable), keep in mind guys that just 'cause the parts catalog lists different numbers, doesn't mean that the part is different at all. Oftentimes, if a supplier was changed, even of raw materials, which would affect an in-house part, a new part number was assigned. I've found many, many examples of this in the '48-'54 MPC. One reason for this would simply be to be able to "time frame" a certain part.

In '40-'41, war was upon us, changes were being ready to be made, AND we're dealing with an independent, which means in materials, parts and priority, Hudson did not come first most of the time.

I try to use the MPC as a guide, but not the final word in parts referencing.
  • bellbigdawg
    I would really love for the 40 to be the same as the 41. all I got are bad 41 fenders, don't have a 40 fender to compare side by side. If they are truely the same, it would make my search a little easier. all I have to go on is the parts book, and it's been good so far. does someone have both year fenders to compare acual length, mounting holes, etc.?? that would tell for sure. I am kinda nutty on perfection on using correct year parts, just to satisfy myself more than anything. I am not saying that I am 100% correct on 41 fenders not being like the 40, just going on my only reference that I trust. I acually would be happy if they both were the same.
  • RL Chilton
    sure wish I could help more, bellbigdawg, but I'm sure someone will chime in here soon with a good answer for you.
  • 53jetman
    bellbigdawg wrote:
    according to the 1940-1942 parts book, front RH fender is part number 140880 for 1940 plain one, for 1941 plain one, part number is 146880. so they are definitely different parts. question is, what is that difference. (side note, all 1940 fenders part numbers start with 140, while the 1941 fender part numbers start with a 146. if the parts were the same from 1940 to 1941, the book always reflects an identicle part number):eek:

According to the "Numerical Parts Interchangeability Record" published by Hudson Motor Car Co in March of 1950, Fender part number 140880 is superceded by part number 146880. This would mean in my book, that both 1940 and 1941 front fenders are interchangeable!

Jerry

53jetman
  • RL Chilton
    Was that on a Hudson Technical Bulletin, of is it a seperate entity, and where did you find such a thing . . . and where can I find such a thing?
  • 53jetman
    RL Chilton wrote:
    Was that on a Hudson Technical Bulletin, of is it a seperate entity, and where did you find such a thing . . . and where can I find such a thing?

This is a book, about the thickness of the 1948 thru 1954 master parts catalog that lists part numbers (apparently parts in stock at the Hudson plant) that would apply to vehicles from 1927 thru 1950. As an example, the first part number listed is 30129, Sleeve-Clutch Shifting.....27-28 Hudson. The book was in my fathers Catalog Rack at Vic Bean's Garage, Leipsic OH. It was provided by HMCC for the dealer's parts departments (at a price I'm sure).

Watch on e-bay, one will certainly come up for sale at some time or another

Jerry

53jetman
  • bellbigdawg
    WOW!! that answers that!! sneeky hudson engineers! so I now need front hudson fenders from any 1940 or 1941 model in good condition which is what 53 jetman said awhile ago. o well, I'm at home anyway..just got out of hospital and kinda bored...so why not get the forum stirred up!!:D
  • 53jetman
    RL Chilton wrote:

Russel - Just saw a reproduction of the Interchange Record on e-bay from Faxon, e-bay item #400002249808. I have purchased from these people in the past, and their quality is the best for reproduced catalogs & books.

Jerry

53jetman
  • I just tried to bolt up a '40 right front fender to a '41 car and it's a no go.  I can get either the top or the bottom to match, but not both.  That makes the fender about 1/2 to 3/4 inch to squatty in the rear.  The front is a perfect match.

Allan

• 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited September 2014

Here is an ebay 'search' for the referenced manual.  It will show what is currently available -

EBAY Search

At this point, it looks like an original manual currently at $25 (auction), and reproductions at $49 (BIN), plus shipping...

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    I restored a 40 years ago. I had a 40 fender on one side and a 41 on the other side. I cannot recall what modifications it needed. But if I figured it out , it can't be difficult. So , I don't see why a 40 can't be made to work on 41.
This discussion has been closed.